Fostex or Jordan jxr 6hd for T-Amp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am building a system based around a Charlize T-Amp, but I have not decided which speakers to build.
I have pretty much concluded that I will need an active subwoofer, which I am assembling the parts for.
My main requirements is that they will be small, so bass reflex or sealed, I guess.
The listening room will not be large.
The listening volume will not need to be "party Level".
I am looking for an exquisite sound - of course.
I had been looking at the Fostex FE167E, but then I came across the Jordan Jxr 6hd, which are very different, of course. The Jordans can go in a small 4 litre cabinet which can be wall mounted, which is interesting.
Any other suggestions?
My budget is up to £150 for the drivers, but I would be happy to spend a lot less, as low budget is a fun goal for thjis project.

I have the JXR6 drivers and they work well with the little Sonic T-amp. They're a 4 ohm driver, getting around 9 watts out of the amp. The combination brings out the best in each component and, of course, there's no bass below 80Hz to strain the t-amp.

If going for the Jordans, you can use an enclosure smaller than 4 litres. 3 litre is the optimum according to the website but mine are in 2.2 litre Homebase ceramic pots and only lose a few Hz extension in the bass at the expense of slightly higher Qts. You can go as small as 0.75 litre.

I have just built a back loaded horn using a Fostex 206E. I use a modified T-Amp and the combination in my opinion is astounding. For the cost of the modified T-Amp (£50) and Fostex + cabs (£400) I think you would need to spend a whole bucket load more to get the same resolution, musicality, tangibility and sheer grin factor. You just want to keep turning it up to hear and (see)deeper into the mix. The sound is very live, but not harsh or uncontrolled.

Thank you for your replies.
I would love to build some horns, they are definitely the way to go to get the best from FRs, but in this intstance I need small cabinets.
Are there any opinions in the difference in sonics between small BR Fostexs and the Jordan JXR 6HDs?
I am open to all suggestions, and my decision is not limited to the above.
Michael

The Jordan needs a sealed box and is designed to work with a bass system (although it does pretty well on its own). My system is tuned to f3 at 120Hz and output disappears completely below 80Hz. Wall or corner mounting helps fill out the lower midrange. Imaging is top class and, as I've said before, the overall sound is electrostatic in character, lots of detail, very fast.

The Jordan JX92 has a ported box design which may compare more directly with the Fostex.

My 206 BLH
Speaker5.jpg

>Colin - have you tried giving as small air as possible for the Jordans?

Ted's units have a different suspension to the Bandors and the 2-3 litre enclosures are fine. Ted actually recommends you don't stick a cap in series to roll of the LF as it will do a worse job than allowing the enclosure to do it. The various alignments and bxes sizes are here.

Thank you Colin. I'll try silicone seal.

This is what I'm planning to do:
http://cgi.ebay.de/Voluta-Design-St...8QQihZ003QQcategoryZ23323QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I have a problems measuring JXR6 by using USB oscilloscope. Output from generator is weak when connecting amplifier or speaker. Should I use conditioning amplifier? What kind of input impedance?

Examples:

1) Step long

http://audiostereo.lukarnet.com/gfx/700000/708561_1.gif

2) Step short window
http://audiostereo.lukarnet.com/gfx/700000/708561_2.gif

3) 1041Hz square wave
http://audiostereo.lukarnet.com/gfx/700000/708561_3.gif

4) CSD
http://audiostereo.lukarnet.com/gfx/700000/708676_1.gif

They look fun, don't they. I presume some sort of quarter wave line with the head as a coupling chamber. But it's the JX92 so are you plotting something smaller for the JXR6 using a sealed box? If so, you can base it on the specs on the Jordan site, I wouldn't worry too much about generating your own measurements.

I'm not sure what equipment you're using to generate the measurements - others here on the forum will be better able to advise on this.

What is clearly seen on the square wave is 8900Hz resonanse. This biggest peak disappears when you move mic (electret, Phywe Messmikrofon) off-axis. What I willing to do is:

1) Compare direct and indirect impulse response estimation
2) Check microphase shifts (see Manger Holoprofile)

I know that direct methods have very bad SNR however for a near field this would be interesting.

Some JXR6 unites appears to be badly glued - see appended picture.

Attachments

• p1013572.jpg
    p1013572.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 229
Looks like you may have a faulty sample. Contact your distributor or Jordan direct and they should be willing to replace. It's not worth doing any measurement work with them until you have a proper set of drivers - any faults with the surround may cause all sorts of resonance problems. (If you have a matched pair, ask for both to be replaced whether or not the second unit shows the same problem.)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.