'modeling' open baffle speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
That doesn't take into account the rear wave, which will cause phase cancellations.

Try this: http://www.tolvan.com/edge

Play around with the shape of the baffle, and position of the driver for the best response, then tune from there. It has an option for OB.

Geoff.

Attachments

• baffle_s.jpg
    baffle_s.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 373
The worksheets do facilitate playing. Never had a problem with that myself.

The reason they run slow is because they are extremely detailed in terms of what they calculate. They aren't instant on anyone's machine because of the sheer amount of processing involved. Even on a brand-new machine with 2Gb RAM, massive processor etc it still took a while to run the in-room routines on a big horn I've been designing recently. The price you have to pay for accuracy.

Scottmoose said:
The worksheets do facilitate playing. Never had a problem with that myself.

The reason they run slow is because they are extremely detailed in terms of what they calculate. They aren't instant on anyone's machine because of the sheer amount of processing involved. Even on a brand-new machine with 2Gb RAM, massive processor etc it still took a while to run the in-room routines on a big horn I've been designing recently. The price you have to pay for accuracy.
"Accuracy" beyond the realm of practicality.
(for me anyways) :)

IMO my Boxplot kludge out does any other

If it works for you that is great, you should use whatever best fits your needs. But does you model include the following capabilities :

- multiple drivers with correct T/S parameters
- driver directionality as a function of diameter
- relative driver placements on the baffle
- combined driver and baffle directionality (the off axis response) in front, beside, and behind the baffle
- interaction between drivers at the listening position
- floor bounce cancellation and floor reinforcement at low frequencies
- multiple drivers and crossover filters including inverted connections
- boost or cut of driver(s) w.r.t. the other driver(s) on the baffle
- proximity of the rear wall and potential reflections

Looks like you can handle one driver and an approximate baffle size which is a good start. However, I am not sure how your "kludge" out does any other modeling, I would rank it behind MathCad and the Edge for producing useful OB results. But if it works for you and any other people then that is what you should use for designing your OB speakers.

MJK said:

If it works for you that is great, you should use whatever best fits your needs. But does you model include the following capabilities :

- multiple drivers with correct T/S parameters
- driver directionality as a function of diameter
- relative driver placements on the baffle
- combined driver and baffle directionality (the off axis response) in front, beside, and behind the baffle
- interaction between drivers at the listening position
- floor bounce cancellation and floor reinforcement at low frequencies
- multiple drivers and crossover filters including inverted connections
- boost or cut of driver(s) w.r.t. the other driver(s) on the baffle
- proximity of the rear wall and potential reflections

Looks like you can handle one driver and an approximate baffle size which is a good start. However, I am not sure how your "kludge" out does any other modeling, I would rank it behind MathCad and the Edge for producing useful OB results. But if it works for you and any other people then that is what you should use for designing your OB speakers.

Well ...... I'm working on the "multiple drivers'" part
http://home.comcast.net/~jhyamamoto/efftest.xls
Gotta add Qm to the inputs and Qts to the outputs.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.