Aura BIB's ???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Anyone ever consider putting the Aura NS3-194-8E's in BIB's?

http://www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?cart_id=2090028.98&pid=1705

I have these laying in my room, ready for their new home which was going to be the Delsol project. But now Im starting to wonder if I can squeeze a little more low end out of them. Something like 65-60HZ roll off or lower would be great. They have somewhat similar specs to the Tang Bang 871s which already has a BIB designed.

Thoughts?

-Sergio

Im still waiting for a response from GM or someone...i dont want to build them and then havev someone tell me it wont work :D I mean if it doesnt dip as low as the tang bands thats fine. Ill run a sub anyway. Im just looking for something that will dip down into the kick drum area...

I believe the Auras have more x max as well, so they may even be better suited...

Fast1one said:
Im still waiting for a response from GM or someone...

Greets!

Well, waiting on me can be a long time coming because I'm so snowed under for a variety of reasons that I'm not actively browsing the forums anymore. Anyway, WRT the Aura BIB I posted a response to you yesterday and followed it up with a BLH 'teaser':
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1136302#post1136302

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1136316#post1136316

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1136348#post1136348

GM

Im kind of lost as to what your referring too....do you mean the BIBs originally designed for the Tang Bands? Sorry im lost...must be tired. If you can share dimensions for them that would be great, I would build them and let you know how it goes.

BTW I hope we are talking about the same driver, the one with the phase plug not the one with the white(silver?) cone...

Thank you

-Sergio

Greets!

?? I was referring to the Aura NS3-194-8E BIB I though I posted on the BIB thread, plus I mentioned a fairly big BLH design for it that I did awhile back. The BLH isn't a simple build like the BIB, so unless you're willing to figure all the folding...........

That said, I can't find the BIB in the BIB thread! Good thing I saved it:

L = 84"
Sm = ~15"^2 - recommend 4.75" x 3.187"
zdriver = 17.625"

Due to its length, driver position and rolled off LF response, best to floor load it IMO.

GM

Ahhh awesome! One more thing sorry....well im sure others can answer this...for floor loading should the spacing be half the smallest width of the opening? Can I use spikes? Ill research this but I havent really found an answer...Im such a newb but now that youve posted this I think Im going to build them this saturday...

That BLH graph looks great too, but im looking for a simple build as you would imagine...Also floor loading means the driver would be pretty low to the ground...would that be ok?

I keep coming up with ideas haha...Its getting late too...

Have an idea to remedy the height problem...how would these work without the fold? If that makes sense. Basically The side of the enclosure would look like an acute triangle, 60 inches high(nearly, line length would be 60) and down firing? The driver would be mounted on the longest side, opposite the hypotenuse...Ive seen something similar with Tapered/expanding TLs...thoughts?

Fast1one said:
...for floor loading should the spacing be half the smallest width of the opening? Can I use spikes?

...Also floor loading means the driver would be pretty low to the ground...would that be ok?

Greets!

Spikes are fine and what I use on all but the really big/heavy cabs. A spacing rule-of-thumb is to calc the mouth's end correction:

L' = 0.613*radius

L' = 0.613*(SQRT(55/pi)) = ~2.57"

Some folks like them low, angled up, but I prefer them at least ear ear height and often a little higher, so these ideally need an off-set fold, but folding them in half and positioning the driver ~33 - 35" from the closed point should work OK too.

Anyway, looking forward to a review, I'm curious how well these can handle being loaded down so far below Fs.

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.