Weird bass phenomenon with BIBs... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th February 2007, 10:12 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to xstephanx
Default Weird bass phenomenon with BIBs...

I recently built some BIBs and i love them! alot! it has the mids and highs of me fe166e OB, but with the most defined kickass lows ive heard . (seriously, out of all the bass ive heard, this is my favourite)

anyway, while listening to a remastered version of the Grateful Deads "Uncle Johns band"(those familiar with this track know of the hot, and low bass track), it occurred to me, that the bass was actually strong enough(and i wasnt even cranking them in the SLIGHTEST) to rattle everything on my shelves. This is something even my 240 watt 15" subwoofer doesnt even do...

yet even STRANGER, i get NO complaints of bass propagating throughout the entire house as i usually do with my little BR bookshelf speakers, or my sub.

so long story short, What the hell?(in a good way! this just means i can get a satisfying listening experience when eveyone is sleeping)

who can explain this cause im stumped.

and did i mention how much i like my BIBs?

edit: to avoid confusion, my subwoofer does have more bass though, it measures louder, and sounds/feels obvioiusly louder, but not quite as present, if you catch my drift. On my sub i hear and feel the bass, on my BIBs its just "there" is the only way i can explain it. No way will a apir of fe166 make more bass than a 15" with 18mm xmax.
Old 12th February 2007, 10:24 PM   #2
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Stephan,

I think it just means that the shelf or the things on the shelf have a resonant frequency close to that of the unloading of the BIB. It's likely a higher frequency than the woofer produces which is why the woofer doesn't rattle the shelf and it's why the neighbours don't mind. It also might be near where waves collide and rather than cancel, they are exciting.

Just a guess.

Hide this!Advertise here!