Coral Flat 6 - magnet/frame seal problem.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The drivers give off a "clang" when bumped, or even when setting down on a table magnet first. With a light effort the frame to magnet joint can be seperated, a hairline crack shows.
What's a good way to reseal the joint?
And is the clang inherent and just needs frame damping?
Don

Hi Don. I have a Pioneer driver here that's done the same thing. (I tossed out it's mate when I moved)

Seems the glue just gives up. The next knock moves the pole piece to one side jamming the VC.

If your drivers are what I think they are, you can't remove the dust cap to facilitate alignment. You need to remove the magnet and pole piece, remove all traces of adhesive. Then reassemble the unit. If you have a dial indicator, it may be possible to align the centre pole before the adhesive goes off. I'm not sure what adhesive to use, yet.

Post a pic of the front and the damage.

Regards,

Geoff

Thanks for the reply Geoff. I'm not sure if my post came off right. I didn't bump it and cause any damage. I recently received these and noticed the light clang sound when setting them down. Some investigation turned up the adhesive had dried up, etc. Just explaining because I don't have a camera, and there's no frame damage.
These are some of the ones from diyparadise and have never been played. I got 4 from someone who bought several. Asked him to check his for this problem, but haven't heard back on that. Maybe others are having this problem?
There doesn't seem to be an alignment problem. I was hoping to remove the old adhesive and apply new. What's a good adhesive for this?
I'm hoping they don't need to taken apart and reassemble. I don't think I'd get into that.
Don

You're welcome Don.
If the magnet had dislodged completely, I'd remove all traces of adhesive, and use 3 or 4 drops of one of the cyanoacrylates (super glue). The magnet will provide most of the force, just need to locate it.

In your case, you could try Araldite. Close the joint with a vice or other clamp and build up a fillet over the crack, then the complete circle if successful. I don't know how well the Araldite will bond to the ceramic.

Good luck with it,
Geoff.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.