Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th February 2007, 02:18 AM   #1
BHD is offline BHD  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to BHD
Default Anyone seen the new Audio Nirvana 12" driver?

This one looks like it might actually work in a bass reflex cabinet...

http://www.commonsenseaudio.com/an12super.jpg

I wonder how it'd do in a Metronome...
Old 11th February 2007, 10:31 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

They'll need a pretty big box as Vas is high -300 litres. But they do look lovely units. I haven't bothered doing anything for them as I've no real call to at present, but I might have a quick play.
Old 11th February 2007, 09:11 PM   #3
BHD is offline BHD  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to BHD
I fear not large cabinets, for I am single...

However, I do have my hands full with my FE206ES-R's which are going into BIB's... I just hadn't seen the 12" AN drivers mentioned here, so I thought I'd bring them up.
Old 11th February 2007, 11:10 PM   #4
JandG is offline JandG  United States
diyAudio Member

Default How about OB, Almost .5 Qts...?

Looks to worth a try maybe..? I am very new to this so............
Old 13th February 2007, 08:03 PM   #5
dmason is offline dmason  United States
diyAudio Member

Thorsten Weber strongly recommends the AN 10 on OB. According to the spex, the 12 might be an even better candidate, lower Fs, more Xmax, higher Qts, on the face of it at least.
Old 13th February 2007, 11:49 PM   #6
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

wonder what impressions of A-N 10 & 12 might be vs CH250 for open baffle? CH250 with one filter on a cardboard baffle seemed pretty good and no need for a helper tweeter.
Old 14th February 2007, 11:31 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hi,

I used AN10s and CH-250 in identical OB. Both had a notch filter - both had the same subwoofer to support frequencies below 70Hz.

CH-250 is a cheap fun driver but AN10s is waaaaay better! I haven't heard the new AN12 but he might be better in OB.

Regards
Thorsten
Old 14th February 2007, 04:27 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Thorsten,
Would you mind sharing the baffle size and notch that you used for the AN10?
Thanks.
Old 14th February 2007, 06:56 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by happy.gringo
baffle size and notch that you used for the AN10
Hi,

my OB was 1.2 meters high and 0.8 meters wide. Notch: 0.15mH / 15-18uF (depends) / 25 ohms. Rising response compensation: 0.8mH / 8 ohms

Regards
Thorsten
Old 16th February 2007, 12:48 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

I just ordered a pair of Audio Nirvana Super-10 full-range drivers,
I have 2 Genesis cabinets mounted up on the wall in my rec room so that the 10" hole of these boxes are about 6' off the ground.
I've sorely neglected good speakers in the past, but hope to do some making up by getting these.
Basically, the original Genesis speakers (made in New Hampshire, bought in 1977, probably a good $200 even back then), had an 8" woofer, a tiny cone tweeter, an LCR crossover network, and a 10" passive radiator, with a nice big cone, just no speaker or magnet behind it. The unit was sealed and has a complete fiberglas packing. After having moved a few times, both woofers & radiators rotted out (the neoprene edges), so I just replaced the 8" woofers (probably in the mid 80's) with cheaper generic ones, and actually haven't really used these speakers that much in that past 5 years or so. One of these woofers burned out again, so I figured I'd go all out.
I'm going to put the new AN drivers in the 10" hole where the passive radiators once were, keep the old 8" woofers and the tweeters, just disconnect them completely and run my thick copper zipcord (lately I've found that heavy outdoor low voltage lighting cable is a good choice) directly from my tube amp monoblocks to the new AN driver, at 8 ohms.
The box will be airtight again, leaving the old 8" relics in there, and no electronics other than direct wiring.

Should this be good to go for the most part, or will I get a lot of better performance, say by adding a bit of sand on the bottom, gluing in a simple baffle partway up, and putting a capactor in?
As I mentioned, to boxes are already 6' off the ground and the new drivers will go in the bottom big hole, not the top, where the dead speakers will stay.

Also, when I get my next (bigger than I've attempted before) 30watt monoblock tube hi-fi amp built, I'm planning to run these in series from the 4 watt terminals of the amp, so I can get both going at once.

Hide this!Advertise here!