166es-r in a austin a166 & construction ? - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th September 2008, 10:47 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

Count me in too. I would love to chip in for an electronic file so that a CNC shop to make all the cuts.
Old 17th September 2008, 09:31 PM   #32
mp9 is offline mp9  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hifiZen
More like this you mean... with the suprabaffle flush instead of proud of the front panel? I had to move the driver centerline up to prevent the magnet crashing into the back of the CC, but with a single layer of ply, the inside cone diameter is indeed a lot less.
would the compression chamber be reduced (as called for/es-r), with the suprabaffle flush? any negatives with it flush vs. protruding?

can you guy's give a consensus of the iris bvr /166es-r? i'm thinking that it won't weigh 100+lbs like the hiro or fostex rec. blh and i wont have to buy more lumber as my stock of 5'x5' B.B. will do.
Old 17th September 2008, 10:57 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

Yes, the cc volume is less.
This is one of the reasons for doing it with the ES-R driver.
It works great for me...
Smoother frequency response, and lower than iris/hiro/etc, and quite a bit better than fostex recommended according to those who've built them both.
It goes very smoothly from horn to TL, down to 40Hz, then smooth roll off.
See: http://www.audiophiletalk.com/cgi-bi...1201567978/132
starts: http://www.audiophiletalk.com/cgi-bi...m=1201567978/0
Old 18th September 2008, 03:21 PM   #34
REC1 is offline REC1  United States
diyAudio Member

I am glad veryoldcat likes them.

Just got back to work due to hurricane Ike, i stayed @ home and rode it out.
Unbelievable energy in a hurricane. Ripped up a concrete 4x4 post right out of the ground in my patio fence, tore the bricks right off the building. The destruction was amazing. Most ppl here are still without power and living on brought in bottled water and MREs. The sound ,as the eye passed, was like a train passing by and someone screaming outside my window. Not much scares me in my old age, but this did. (Quote:" As an old lion senses the end he gets very brave")

Back to topic: I have never truly worked out the numbers on power requirements for the A166, but i designed in a great deal of loading on the rear of the cone. I doubt that a spud SET will overcome the load in one portion of the sine wave at LF. A good gainclone or PP tube or general quality amp with at least 8-30 watts should perform well.

ron
Old 18th September 2008, 03:25 PM   #35
REC1 is offline REC1  United States
diyAudio Member

All neighborhoods... and possibly entire coastal communities...

will be inundated during high tide. Persons not heeding evacuation orders in single family one or two story homes will face certain death. Many residences of average construction directly on the coast will be destroyed. Widespread and devastating personal property damage is likely elsewhere. Vehicles left behind will likely be swept away. Numerous roads will be swamped... some may be washed away by the water. Entire flood prone coastal communities will be cutoff. Water levels may exceed 9 feet for more than a mile inland. Coastal residents in multi-story facilities risk being cutoff. Conditions will be worsened by battering waves. Such waves will exacerbate property damage... with massive destruction of homes... including those of block construction. Damage from beach erosion could take years to repair.
Old 18th September 2008, 05:22 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

wow i can't imagine! looking at some of it now on the news at noon. i wish you well.
Old 18th September 2008, 05:26 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

Bad. Very bad. Take care of yourself Ron.
Old 19th September 2008, 07:26 AM   #38
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by REC1
All neighborhoods... and possibly entire coastal communities...

will be inundated during high tide. Persons not heeding evacuation orders in single family one or two story homes will face certain death. Many residences of average construction directly on the coast will be destroyed. Widespread and devastating personal property damage is likely elsewhere. Vehicles left behind will likely be swept away. Numerous roads will be swamped... some may be washed away by the water. Entire flood prone coastal communities will be cutoff. Water levels may exceed 9 feet for more than a mile inland. Coastal residents in multi-story facilities risk being cutoff. Conditions will be worsened by battering waves. Such waves will exacerbate property damage... with massive destruction of homes... including those of block construction. Damage from beach erosion could take years to repair.
Hi Ron,

What an awful horrible mess! Sorry-ness is no real help, certainly; but I offer my deepest concern and sympathies. As an artist, I have a major collector who has a great deal of my work stored in Baytown, TX. I haven't even had the nerve to ask her if all the work is ok, but if NOT, 10 years of my best work is wiped out.

On a happier note, Ron, anyone that is capable of a nice build of your Austin design has a GREAT deal to look forwards to: anyone capable of building these, should immediately go for it! I used the Decware modded FE166, and stuck very closely to the drawings on the Planet10 site.

When I say very closely, there are some extremely miniscule changes that happened due to the adaptation of .75" Europly, instead of the .70" Baltic Birch.

I've listened to a lotta speakers, and these definitely fall into the extra super special category.

Double kudos, Ron, for all the fussing it took to model these guys. They are incredible, and "thank you" doesn't even come close.

Karl
Old 19th September 2008, 06:26 PM   #39
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by REC1

I have never truly worked out the numbers on power requirements for the A166, but i designed in a great deal of loading on the rear of the cone. I doubt that a spud SET will overcome the load in one portion of the sine wave at LF. A good gainclone or PP tube or general quality amp with at least 8-30 watts should perform well.
ron
in going with the higher efficiency 166es-r's i had wanted to use a 2a3set or even a 45set since they've been reported to work well with the cain&cain abby's. i hadn't thought about rear cone loading. would i be better off building the spawn iris bvr for that application?
as a side note, have a mint scott 222c 18watt pp tube amp but i didn't want to use it for these. i suppose a 8watt 300b set would do but i don't currently have one and didn't like the way my previous two 300b set amps created a new tropical climate in the room in all months but winter.
any thoughts or experience's please?
Old 19th September 2008, 06:45 PM   #40
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mp9

in going with the higher efficiency 166es-r's i had wanted to use a 2a3set or even a 45set since they've been reported to work well with the cain&cain abby's. i hadn't thought about rear cone loading. would i be better off building the spawn iris bvr for that application?
as a side note, have a mint scott 222c 18watt pp tube amp but i didn't want to use it for these. i suppose a 8watt 300b set would do but i don't currently have one and didn't like the way my previous two 300b set amps created a new tropical climate in the room in all months but winter.
any thoughts or experience's please?
To the extent that any 2A3 or 45 works with the Abbys it will work with the Austins. I found 15 watts (triode connected PP el-34's) to be way more than enough in a large room, it should only take a couple of watts to hit the linear excursion limits of the driver at 40hz.

Sean

Hide this!Advertise here!