166es-r in a austin a166 & construction ? - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th August 2008, 09:47 AM   #21
hifiZen is offline hifiZen  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rjbond3rd

Hi hifiZen, the gentleman REC1 who responded with the colorful comment is in fact the very same ronc, Ron Clarke, designer of the BLH's in question.

Oh, hah! ... now there's irony - I was the one completely missing the context. For some reason, I haven't seen his posts on the subject here (or if so, I didn't realize who it was), so I was thinking Ron wasn't posting on this forum, just over at fullrangedriver.com. There would seem to be some threads / posts I've missed on this topic(?). Ahh, well at least that was worth a good chuckle.

Anyway, it looks like I have a few long work days coming up, so I shall return to the AutoCAD drawings this weekend, and post the first cut files, with dimensions...

Now that I think of it, is there another set of plans for the A166 posted somewhere? The only drawings I have are the PDF posted at planet10's site.
Old 6th August 2008, 10:02 AM   #22
hifiZen is offline hifiZen  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by serenechaos
... (looking from the top), the rear deflector was made square, not triangular, and the speakers were corner loaded.
I've also tried using a super tweeter, had best results with a Heil AMT crossed in ~15 kHz, but still not happy with it.
Other problems with this system; namely that of long path BLHs...
But regardless, it remains the best BLH, and by itself the best single driver "fullrange" speaker I've ever heard
Robert
So at least initially, I won't have the option of corner loading these... my listening room dictates that they end up against the long wall. So I will start with the triangular wedge, plus a detachable base such that in the future I can change the wedge easily.

Anyone tried modding the 166esr's with phase plugs? It seems like a good idea, but I'd hesitate to try it myself, since it's an irreversible one-shot deal.

Really looking forward to starting construction on these...
Old 6th August 2008, 11:52 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hifiZen
Anyone tried modding the 166esr's with phase plugs?
Yeah, a old vacuum tube works well.
Like Steve Deckert uses in his corner horns.
Something like a 6DJ8 is just the right length/dia.
Free & easy.

Quote:
Originally posted by hifiZen
It seems like a good idea, but I'd hesitate to try it myself, since it's an irreversible one-shot deal.
Not if you're careful.
Just be REAL careful cutting the dust cap, & it can be glued back on.
Robert
Old 6th August 2008, 01:35 PM   #24
REC1 is offline REC1  United States
diyAudio Member

...others may take offense at the apparent (though unintentional, I'm sure) insult to Ron...

No insult taken, i work for Hindus, nobody could insult me more.

Re: Opinion.

In my work an opinion never matters. Yes sometimes i use SWAG ,but its still based on results from the past (which lessens the SWAG effect).

The A166 was designed around the FE166. Other drivers of simular values will work but not to the exacting degree that the original design was based.

Sorry! i am old and cranky and under a great work load.

ron

(if i had known i was going to live this long i would have taken better care of myself)
Old 6th August 2008, 03:26 PM   #25
mp9 is offline mp9  United States
diyAudio Member

i'm getting the impression we need a new design specifically for the 166es-r, although limited i'd think there are enough of them out there for it to be worth the effort.
Old 10th September 2008, 09:28 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

any progress?
Old 12th September 2008, 03:26 AM   #27
paba is offline paba  Canada
diyAudio Member

I'm interested as well in an optimized for 166esr horn...

so far the closest to that would be the Spawn model Hiro with the 166esr specific angle for the stacked corner deflectors posted somewhere here.

A166 is an option but the specific changes for this driver don't seem well documented..

I think there were 300 pairs sold in North America... so maybe we can take attendance here and if all are willing to pay 20$ via paypal for a proper set of autocad drawings maybe some nice horn developer will put a few hours into this.

If not, I'm going with Hiro, easy build and nice footprint.

Thanks
paba
Old 12th September 2008, 04:03 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

As previously mentioned, the 166ES-R works real well in the Austin 166, only modification is to stuff the compression chamber. I just used a cylindrical piece of foam in the back of the cc. Works great in a corner, flat down to 40 Hz!
Robert
Old 12th September 2008, 06:19 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by paba

so far the closest to that would be the Spawn model Hiro with the 166esr specific angle for the stacked corner deflectors posted somewhere here.
do you have a link to that?
i thought about the hiro, liking the footprint too but my stock of baltic birch ply are 5'x5' sheets and it calls for 6' sides.
Old 12th September 2008, 09:37 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by paba
I'm interested as well in an optimized for 166esr horn...
I think there were 300 pairs sold in North America... so maybe we can take attendance here and if all are willing to pay 20$ via paypal for a proper set of autocad drawings maybe some nice horn developer will put a few hours into this.
paba
you could count me in.

Hide this!Advertise here!