166es-r in a austin a166 & construction ? - Page 12 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd February 2009, 06:13 PM   #111
paba is offline paba  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hi Chad,

just so I'm clear this you will share a cad drawing with Ron's suggested changes for the 166esr? If so that is a dream come true.

cheers
paba
Old 23rd February 2009, 07:11 PM   #112
Sweden is offline Sweden  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Hi Chad, here in Sweden we have evning ;-)

Chad what good that you want to do this, I hope I can get some of your drawings.

Regards
Sweden
Old 23rd February 2009, 07:11 PM   #113
hifiZen is offline hifiZen  Canada
diyAudio Member

Yes. I'll post the final drawings here when they're ready.

First step is to re-create an accurate set of plans for Ron's original 166e version. This is almost done.

Then I will produce a second plan, modified for the 166es-r. I am thinking this should include a slight re-shaping of the compression chamber, for better airflow around the huge magnet. With the existing design, the magnet blocks most of the area between the cone and the CC. Maybe this doesn't really matter so much, but looking at the plans I have made so far, it seems too restricted.

Probably I will add a bit more height, and maybe slide the driver up a smidge. The final piece of the puzzle is to reduce the total volume of the CC. I'll leave it deliberately oversized, and then add filler blocks as needed. This in turn means that I will probably design in an access hatch to the CC, or maybe a removable baffle instead. Not sure which - right now I'm focused on getting the basic plan right, and I'll work out the other details later.
Old 23rd February 2009, 07:25 PM   #114
mp9 is offline mp9  United States
diyAudio Member

Default yes please do, it's about time i use my 166es-r 8•)

i don't have ideal corners and will be limited to rooms in the house with at least one side being a exterior wall of plywood faced/shingles or brick but have run out of options.

i tried to convince myself that the fostex rec. blh design could be built with only one sheet of baltic birch per side panel rather than two as in their plans.

my reasoning being that it looks like the fostex cut sheet layout doubled the side walls to efficiently get eight 4' long side panels from 3'x6' sheet's of lesser grade wood than baltic birch which typically comes in 5'x5' and is denser and stiffer than lesser grade stock.

thinking that the denser baltic birch side pannel done in one complete 4'L sheet will be about as stiff and just as "anti resonant" as fostex's plan of two 3'L + 1' L staggered at each sides pair to = 4' of mdf, std. construction ply or home depot, lowes birch ply.

not doubling the side walls would significantly reduce the weight of each speaker to ~10lb more than the austin sans deflector.
Old 23rd February 2009, 07:35 PM   #115
germpod is offline germpod  United States
diyAudio Member

I am very jazzed about corrected plans for the original Austin 166. I was about to start and try to go by the description about how to fix the error, but I can wait for a bit more.

Thanks a ton.

Ed Robinson
Old 23rd February 2009, 08:49 PM   #116
diyAudio Member

Default Re: yes please do, it's about time i use my 166es-r 8•)

Quote:
Originally posted by mp9

thinking that the denser baltic birch side pannel done in one complete 4'L sheet will be about as stiff and just as "anti resonant" as fostex's plan of two 3'L + 1' L staggered at each sides pair to = 4' of mdf, std. construction ply or home depot, lowes birch ply.

not doubling the side walls would significantly reduce the weight of each speaker to ~10lb more than the austin sans deflector.
i don't know about not doubling the side walls being a good idea, unless light weight is more important than sound quality...

i didn't double the side walls on the 166esr austins i built, was going to double them later if i liked the cabs, & thought they needed it.

if i planned on keeping/using them long term i definitely would.
you can feel the sidewalls vibrating, and hear a "echoey" sound from the back wave.
-- may be partly from the side wall vibration?
(not just the long, dissimilar back wave path length to the front wave).
Old 23rd February 2009, 10:28 PM   #117
Forsman is offline Forsman  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hifiZen
No problem about sending you the CAD file, I just don't think it's ready for prime-time yet. Anyway, it seems I have one more correction to apply, so I'm working on that. Send me an email, and I'll send you what I've got.
Thank you very much, but I have to wait with emailing you. I´m still under moderation on this forum and can´t send mail to other members yet.

Quote:
Originally posted by Sweden
Hello Forsman
I also want to build these speakers was wondering if you have made drawings, or get drawings of the curved version?
I have no better material to work with than the plans posted on planet10 site and the drawings posted by hifiZen in this thread. I’m putting my hope in hifiZen´s work with the hardcopy from Bobmar.

Still, I would be very happy if someone had a copy of the curved design, labeled Rev: D on planet10 site, in high resolution or a hardcopy. The drawing posted there is in .pdf and in not so high resolution which makes it hard to redraw it in AutoCAD.

/Forsman
Old 23rd February 2009, 10:28 PM   #118
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Forsman,

You are now free to email.
Old 23rd February 2009, 10:41 PM   #119
Forsman is offline Forsman  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Thanks a lot
Old 24th February 2009, 03:09 AM   #120
paba is offline paba  Canada
diyAudio Member

My 166esr are still in the box sitting idle untouched for a few years now... I've been thinking Hiro (frugel-horn, spawn) the only cabinet worth it but now, if these plans come out, I might consider it instead. Much harder build but better results.
Plus I have two nice corners so even the deflector is an option.

I also thought about sending them to Planet 10 for the full spa treatment... enable, phase plugs, extreme basket and magnet smoothing for lack of a better term while I build Hiro or A166esr.

At the moment I have two electrovice wolverine LT-15 on JE labs open baffles. Nice but very wide baffle, I need something less imposing in the room.

thanks
paba

Hide this!Advertise here!