Cheap computer speakers - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th February 2007, 09:21 PM   #1
PacoX is offline PacoX  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Cheap computer speakers

Howdy. I've been out of the speakerbuilding world for a while, but I'd like to build a small, inexpensive set of computer speakers. I currently just use some cheap headphones when on my PC. I found the Zaph design using the 3" Hi-Vi drivers and it looks like it would be very affordable. I'd like to use it with the T Amp. Would this be a decent combo for listening to music at reasonable levels, or should I look into a pair of small 2 ways? I don't want to add a sub, too much complexity. I listen to mostly hip hop that is fairly bass heavy, but again, I'm not going to be cranking my computer setup. I have my real speakers for that. Anyone with experience with these speakers? I was looking at the CSS FR125, until I saw the price...
Old 10th February 2007, 12:53 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I built several systems using the B2S and found even that tiny one (2inch) to be lacking enough highs. However, in a non-audiophile setup like computer speakers, I's use it. I think the 3-inch would sacrifice too much more highs, however. For the B2S, though, I was pleased with the mids and amazed by the bass for such a small driver.
Old 10th February 2007, 08:38 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I think I'm gonna go with the Hi Vi B3 after reading some more and considering whether I really need to spend the money/time on a 2 way or those pricey FR125s. Can one substitute the B3N for the B3S? I'd prefer to use a round frame driver if possible.
Old 11th February 2007, 09:24 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Did some more reading, I'm going to use the B3N for the looks pretty much. I see the need for a sub, but since this is mostly just for fun and will be an improvement over built in laptop speakers (sad) no matter what, I'll forego it.
Old 11th February 2007, 01:34 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

The HiVi B3N is exactly what I am planning to use in an enclosure designed for the Tangband W3-315SC (the brother/sister of the W3-871s). See the pdf also.
Anyone wants to comment on this combo?

(I will find out anyway in the next week when building it: it will be a very cheap but probably big fun project).
Attached Files
File Type: pdf tisch%20tml.pdf (30.1 KB, 113 views)
Old 15th February 2007, 07:16 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default i am doing similar project

i am doing a similar project i am doing a "fullsize" bookshelf. i am using the M6N, M3B, and a 1" hivi tweeter. so far i have built each in a seperate box to find a box volume that i like. So far it sounds better than i thought it would. i have crossed the 6" at 650Hz, the mid takes everything from 650hz to 5khz, and the tweeter takes the rest. the only draw back it that this 3way with all 8ohm speakers that aren't really that efficient takes a pretty hefty amp. if i were to give you any advise it would be to take your time doing you crossover points and box volume, and don't "finish it" before you make a test box.
Old 15th February 2007, 09:06 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

if i were to give you any advise it would be to take your time doing you crossover points and box volume, and don't "finish it" before you make a test box

Or stay faithful to the fullrange concept...
Old 16th February 2007, 04:43 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

I'll definitely be sticking with the fullrange idea. I priced out all the components at about $40, with cabinet materials and the T-Amp it should be around $100 total. I could just buy some cheap computer speakers, but what fun would that be? I've been amazed by the other sets of speakers I've built, so I'm sure these will be nice too.
Old 16th February 2007, 04:44 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Could I use resistors such as these: PE 10W ?

Or do I need to use the nicer resistors recommended by Zaph? PE doesn't carry anything like that, apparently.
Old 17th February 2007, 03:11 AM   #10
JCoffey is offline JCoffey  United States
diyAudio Member

Ive been interested in a simple project like this myself. What I'd like is a small 2" full range in tiny cubes, with a small 6.5" sub for the lower range.
Has anyone seen any projects like this with the cubes only being lets say 3" square?

Hide this!Advertise here!