Enclosure suggestions for the Hempacoustic FR8 driver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello folks,

I am thinking about building myself a pair of loudspeakers using the hemp acoustic FR8 full range speaker. From the specifications, the Qtc=almost 0.5 so I would like to build a bass reflex type enclosure. Have any of you built a bass reflex enclosure for the FR8's? I want to use these speakers for studio monitoring purposes as well as general hi-fi listening. Towards this end I would like the enclosure to be shaped like monitors as opposed to elongated bass reflex cabinets seen commonly.i

A friend of mine suggested having the front panel/baffle in solid wood like alder or walnut and having the sides in ply. I feel that using solid wood may underdamp the enclosure. I also have a 3" diameter port that can be used and I will most probably use some acoustic damping material.

also do any of you know when the new FR8's are going to hit the market??

Thanks everyone....

You mean, something like these?

Attachments

• p1020091.jpg
    p1020091.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 223
Those were the first boxes I built for the FR8's. A little under 3 ft^3, with 4" diameter x 4" ports facing sideways where you can't see them in the pic. The proportions started out to be Golden Ratio, but got modified to get the pair out of one sheet of 3/4" ply. The offset driver position was determined by the smoothest simulated response I could get in "The Edge" program. I originally intended to center the drivers, but the simulation said the ripple would have been much worse. Putting the driver on the narrow side also showed more ripple in the sim.

These boxes worked decently, but I had to try something diffferent. I have since built a pair of Metronome cabinets (pics posted in the Metronome thread). Overall I like the a bit Metronomes better - mids and bass are cleaner, and no stands needed. But, the BR box worked, and may have had a little more (though not necessarily better or deeper) bass. I'm in a fairly small room, and haven't tried the 'Hemptronomes' in a bigger space, so I don't know how that would influence the outcome.

Happy building!

Bill

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.