Opinions of FX120 vs FE166E or FE167E, Ignoring Bass - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th February 2007, 09:13 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Opinions of FX120 vs FE166E or FE167E, Ignoring Bass

Hi All,

I'm pondering an open baffle setup with a fullrange driver actively crossed over to a woofer, relieving the fullrange of bass duties. I'm planning to cross somewhere between 100Hz and 500Hz (the crossover will allow experimentation with equalization and crossover points and slopes).

So I'm looking for a fullrange with the best performance from 200Hz up. Oh, and a reasonably-priced one--I'm thinking Fostex. I don't think I'll be able to audition, so I'm going to have to go from specs and quidance from sage souls such as yourself. (Do I get alliteration points?)

I'm looking at the FX120 versus the FE166E or FE167E. As I see it, they have the flattest 200Hz-up response I've seen in Fostex drivers. the 166 and 167 have the advantage of efficiency, while The FX120 has smoother response, and perhaps less distortion because it is whizzer-free.

I don't want to sacrifice the efficiency if the FX120 doesn't sound noticeably better. That's where you come in. All experiences, opinions, suggestions, etc. appreciated!

Thanks,

George
Old 6th February 2007, 06:19 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hi George,

I've been lusting for a pair of FX120's for a while now, mainly for that lovely flat fr, but don't have any listening impressions to share. No one in this neck of the woods has a pair that I know of.

I put my FE127's in jiffy plywood OB's (JE lab style) while I worked on the boxes, and was surprised at how good they sounded, as long as I didn't try to push them too hard.

Crossed over at 200Hz with a woofer, the FE127's could be really good, so I see no reason why the FX120 wouldn't work when matched with an appropriate bass driver. IMHO of course.

I would love to go OB, but have WAF issues.

Jeff

Hide this!Advertise here!