High value bedroom system - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th February 2007, 08:35 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default High value bedroom system

Hello,

Curious on what your thoughts are on a pair sealed fr125s and 300 watt sealed tempest are for a nice smooth bedroom system. I have the tempest now and an older sansui amp. my current speakers unfortuantly just bit the dust so Id like to move the sub and amp into my room (12x12) and build a set of smaller speakers to match. Im going for high value on the speakers.. looking for decent spls and a nice smooth sound.

what do you think about pairing the tempest with these fr125s ?
Old 5th February 2007, 09:12 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

That should work really well actually.
Old 5th February 2007, 11:25 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks Godzilla, My only concern is max spl with fr125s i dont plan to throw any bedroom parties lol but I do want some fairly decent volumes..
Old 5th February 2007, 11:48 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to xstephanx
My first impression was that a tempest sub, will chew up a pair of those in the volume category. Now this isnt from experience, but id tend to think that the shiva and fr125 would be a much more practical combination, save some on costs, and not to mention space!

but if the tempest is already built, i dont see why not.
Old 6th February 2007, 12:52 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thats just it.. the tempest is already built.. I might as well just buy em and see what happens. its only 150$, I dont expect them to get as loud as the vegas (which are now dead) but im sure theyll sound a whole lot better, which is what counts. And besides, the tempest should flesh out the bottom end.
Old 6th February 2007, 04:27 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Well, I bought the EL4 kit from creativesound today. The one with 2 fr125s, 2 wr125s, binding posts, screws, pollyfill, etc etc.

Tim was kind enough to share his Aria plans with me, so Im fairly certain im going to build those, or perhaps a set of sealed bipoles. This way I may not even need the tempest for now and can save it for my future HT. I just need to settle on a design.

Ill keep you up dated with build pics and what not as I go.
Old 7th February 2007, 04:50 PM   #7
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Good choice Robert. With one fr and one wr per side it should give you the necessary SPL.

You will still need the woofer IMHO depending on the box you choose.
Old 7th February 2007, 04:54 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Ill most likely hook up the tempest as well, as this system will be used for movies too. Hopefully ill see the parts by friday
Old 14th February 2007, 07:52 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Parts all came today. put one of the fr125s in the cerwin cabinets just to get a feel for the sound and im pretty impressed.

The midrange is just in a totally different league then the vegas. The highs are all there, although there does seem to be a bit of an upper midrange hump or something giving a slightly nasally sound (im sure in the proper enclosure, or with some burn in this will go away)

The bass was impressive for a 4.5" driver, although Not as defined as my tempest, which im sure has something to do with the fact that there was a dead 10" woofer in the box, a port, and the cabinet was just way to big! I was suprised to hear just how deep it extended, easilly 60-70hz or less.

Finally, these things really are power hungry.. the amount of power needed to get this speaker to a comfortable listening level would have had the vegas screaming! None the less, the single driver alone was capable of filling my entire living room with a fair amount of sound.

Now Ive got to get some boxes made, Im gonna be using Tims Aria bipole design. Ill post some pics once I get the build started.
Old 14th February 2007, 09:49 PM   #10
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Good news Robert. Keep us abreast of the progress.

Power hungry? Oh, yes.

Sound good? Oh, yes.

Hide this!Advertise here!