Neofone and Foster

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Is this driver possible for ML-TL?

Perhaps GM can help? ;)

Attachments

• neo%20note.jpg
    neo%20note.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 550
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I have a set of these drivers. The ribbon is very highly regarded -- haven't hooked them up yet.

The NeoPhone we did toss into an OB fresh out of the box. After less than a half-hour we put it aside until we could get some hours on them.

My intention is to morph the Thorsten box into a Fonken/miniOnken-style box.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
_henry_ said:
['m thinking to build Floorstander, and adding the Dynafone as a woofer, should be passive or active?

it would be a great 3way Floorstanding, isn't it.

That same thinking has crossed my mind too. Active on the bottom, passive on the top. So far the extent of XOs i've seeb have been series caps on the ribbons. I have a feeling that a series XO a bit lower might be interesting.

dave

Try the Neofones in a BIB if you have the room, I did, and the result is quite stunning. They really do need a super-tweeter to open up the top end, but in the BIB they are reasonably flat down to about 35Hz. I used a Fostex FT17H with Fostex R80B L-Pad with 1uf Obligatto cap. They sound much, much bigger than that little driver has a right to. After about 50 hours the Neofones have smoothed out, and really impress.

The BIB Thread with Neofone measurements.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=1086817&highlight=#post1086817

Verk.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Scottmoose said:
Yes. I came up with one a while back somewhere but I lost the information & graph after a crash. I 'ates Microsoft, and all their works. I'll see if I can dig it out.

Here is the one posted (in the latest iBIBk-style)... be nice if the Zd was more optimum a little higher off the ground.

dave

Attachments

• neophone-ibib.pdf
    36.8 KB · Views: 184
Nice one Dave.

I don't think we can shift the driver though as-is. Nominal ideal is basically the 0.416 Martin established for a 1:10 taper line, but that's far too high up for this box. Perhaps with this longer line, if a higher driver position is needed, it'd be best the usual way up, wit the karlson sliced in the top. Should still work the same way -just loading th eupper, rather than lower corner.

Ah. I take the point. Bit of a tricky one, that.

How about starting the internal baffle about 10in (or whatever is desired) up from the base & adjusting the other dimensions accordingly? That should lift the driver up while preserving the Zdriver location & the line length. Like my abominable drawing below. Normally this layout with the raised starting point of the line would need the back cutting away at an angle (which leads me to believe this is what TC did with his last, inverted 108 BIB cabinets) to keep a flared, rather than a straight, final section, but the Karlson should also sort this out, along with the other potential benefits. This could potentially be very good, with a rapid final expansion.

Attachments

• pathetic layout drawing.gif
    pathetic layout drawing.gif
    2.7 KB · Views: 329
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.