long haired wool - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd February 2007, 07:07 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default long haired wool

Can you chaps in the states still get hold of long haired wool?? It seems to have gone on the extinct list here in the uk and I'm not sure what the alternative is going to be for stuffing.

Regards

Ed
Old 2nd February 2007, 07:53 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hi Ed -how's all with you?

I generally use the hollow-fibre stuffing from cheap pillows from Tony's Textiles. Alternatively, lining the cabinet is pretty effective for QWRs, although obviously you can't use that trick with non-resonant TLs.
Old 2nd February 2007, 09:11 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Location: kansas city mo, and on occasion, around the world ...
Default Re: long haired wool

Quote:
Originally posted by vitalstates
Can you chaps in the states still get hold of long haired wool?? It seems to have gone on the extinct list here in the uk and I'm not sure what the alternative is going to be for stuffing.

Regards

Ed
i haven't tried

and yet-

http://www.yarnmarket.com/generate/s...TOKEN=93462443

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001_UK...d_mouth_crisis
Old 2nd February 2007, 10:06 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Yeah, the sheep still grow it here!

I got some last year, I think it was from one of the pueblos, in the mountians in northern New Mexico.
I'll have to check.
How much you need?
Old 3rd February 2007, 06:20 AM   #5
RAndyB is offline RAndyB  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Ed,

paradoxically, I think you cannot get hold of it here in the UK because the price of wool is so low!

Most of the manufacturing (carpets and textiles for suiting) has gone abroad, the companies who used to clean the wool have gone out of business, so the fleeces are destroyed.

I buy dressmaker's wadding from a haberdashery stall on the market.

I suppose you could go out for a walk in the winter sunshine and gather it dew fresh from the barbed wire.

Regards,
Andy
Old 3rd February 2007, 10:38 AM   #6
Geoff H is offline Geoff H  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hi Ed,

Have you tried the craft shops? The spinners like the double fleece, I think from the Suffolk breed, the ones with the black face.

HTH,
Geoff.
Old 3rd February 2007, 11:48 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

I don't know about the rest of the US, but in my area there are at least a half dozen small 'fiber farms' within an hour's drive, one within walking distance. They specialize in exotic fibers from things like alpaca , llama, angora goat, etc but many of them have an ordinary sheep or two. Most of them will sell loose fiber directly (i.e. walk-in.) All of them sell by mail/phone/internet.

Maybe you're just looking in the wrong places?

While we're on the subject, sheep's wool is traditional but has anyone tried any other natural fibers? Most of them are much softer (that's where the market is for spinning and felting) but they might work well. Some are even affordable.

-- Dave
Old 3rd February 2007, 01:07 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Hi all

I was told(by a reputable source) that it has vanished in the uk as a result of some EU legislation. The stuff I am referring to was known as Dr Bailey's and was absolutely peerless for stuffing TLs. I know from experience that the hollow fibre stuff is not a patch on Dr Bailey's so I'm beginning to grieve as I am in the middle of experimenting with Vofo mk2.

As far as I'm aware the Dr Bailey's wool was not from sheep but I can't be sure on this one as there is scant info available on the net.

If anybody finds any Dr Bailey's then please let me know. I'm looking for about 1-2 kg.

Regards

Ed
Old 3rd February 2007, 03:56 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Interesting. I've never heard any real difference between materials myself, but I rarely use more than about 0.2lbs ft^3 as most of the QWRs I design are mass-loaded. Perhaps differences become greater with increased densities.
Old 3rd February 2007, 05:13 PM   #10
tvi is offline tvi  Australia
diyAudio Member

You might find these of interest:

Bradbury, "The Use of Fibrous Materials in Loudspeaker Enclosures", Audio Engineering Society, Apr. 1976, pp. 404-412. . can't find it on the web

US Patent 4837837
Quote:
The efficiency of a loudspeaker housing is substantially increased by incorporating in the housing, in the form of a lining or stuffing, a quantity of goat's hair, preferably mohair.
US Patent 6338395
Quote:
A damping material for use in a loudspeaker enclosure to enhance sonic properties of the enclosure. The material for use in the enclosure is kapok, a fibrous material with a relatively low density. By incorporating the kapok within the enclosure, either standing alone or in combination with other materials known to function as acoustic dampers, the overall result is that the sonic quality of the speaker system is increased and may also be reduced in size without sonic compromise.
KIMBERLEY-JANE-SPINNING-FIBRES

Hope this helps

Regards
James

Hide this!Advertise here!