in need of speakers project - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd February 2007, 06:29 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default in need of speakers project

so i am planning to do a speakers project and i'd be happy if i could get any advice. right now i'm thinking of the fe108es and the 168es, though the 168 are maximum money i want to spend - both in the recommended enclosures.
so the amp to drive those is Nelsons F2(clone). the kind of music i listen most to is stuff like pink floyd, deep purple ...- so rock, (sometimes) classics, dum'n base a little less, techno sometimes (but far less than classics) - so nearly everything, no big help i guess

so i'd be happy if anyone could help me decide a) if its worth to go for the 168 (its ~+60Euros for one compared to the 108) or if anyone got another baby in that price range (max 160Euros) for driver.
and i forgot, it should be a horn >= 90db

thanks,
Patrick

PS: sorry if post is similar to some other but i couldn't find the right question/answer for me.
Old 2nd February 2007, 06:48 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

http://www.zillaspeak.com/bib.asp

Look at the BIB enclosures for Fostex. I have the dims for the 108 too. I can post them for you if you like.

Godzilla
Old 2nd February 2007, 07:08 PM   #3
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Well, I can see that he beat me to the punch, but anyways:

From the range of drivers you mentioned, it would appear that either your mind's not quite made up, or you happen to have drivers in hand.

The first thing that comes to mind that would deliver killer sound for the bucks and be easy build would be from Godzilla's BIB series*.

I've built / heard the 108Sigma in several different enclosures, including the BIB; and as stellar a performer as it is from around 300 or so & up, it has limitations in max SPL and bass extension that no enclosure can overcome without paying a price.

If you're not restricted to drivers you already have in hand, I'd suggest starting with either the FE126E or FE166E in a BIB. Depending on where you stand on the tweakage issue, you might want to consider the cone & phase plug mods by Planet10. I don't think I'm alone in personally experiencing the big improvements they can make to the system.

For a more advanced builder, the Fostex BLH for FE166ESR looks to be a great, if not quick project ( 41 pieces per box !) If even 90% of the performance of the FE206ESR BLH , this should satisfy most requirements (except arguably WAF)

*BTW, as much as we need to thank Godzilla for his work on modeling and refining this design to the an expanding family, kudos must go out the late Terry Cain for his earlier work, and offering it to the DIY community. I first met TC, and heard a pair of the FE164 BIB at the VSAC 2001 show - even with only 1W or so of SET (George Wright 45's), these things rocked.
Old 2nd February 2007, 07:12 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

>>> kudos must go out the late Terry Cain...

Agreed... I take NO credit for modeling any BIBs. I just build and host the website.

Godzilla
Old 2nd February 2007, 07:17 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Godzilla

Agreed... I take NO credit for modeling any BIBs. I just build and host the website.

Godzilla
my bad (must be the lacquer fumes, must start wearing a respirator), then certainly credit to Scott or whomever grinds the spreadsheet
Old 2nd February 2007, 09:54 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

hmm i'm gonna think bout the zilla's ...
by the way, i got over the fe206e page, they cost less and seem to give good specs (at least the frequency response diagram). is there anything wrong with those in the recommended enclosure? (better worse than 108 es?)

thanks again

PS: i dont already have the drives, so maybe go for another driver?

btw the only limiting factor is money (as told ~ 350 max). i even got a second brain from my friend rodeodave - who did speakers himself - which i can rent when in need

Old 2nd February 2007, 10:01 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Well of course any fan of Fostex drivers would probably opine there's nothing wrong with any of the FE series in the right boxes, aside from the physical volume required (and for the ESR series, the cash involved)

I don't think Hoffman's Iron Law has been repealed yet.

Pick any 2 of the following:

1) deep bass response
2) sensitivity
3) small enclosure

Scott, et al - has anyone amassed enough data to base driver/enclosure recommendations on room dimensions? I'd wager than more than one DIYer has found their room limitations the hard way - there are some issues that simply can't be solved solely by the application of generous budget.
Old 2nd February 2007, 11:14 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

well i dont really have to get fostex. a friend of mine got the 108es (driven by zenlite) and i think they sound great with current source, so that's the first driver that came to my head.

another question is -if i got for fostex - if the 108es is enough to make my room loud enough=] (its ~25 qm2) with the f2 which i think gives about 5W. (don't punch me for that question, at least not hard, but a certain level is needed.)

and btw. the physical size doesnt matter i got plenty of room. - just maybe that my girl wont be happy

but i think i'll go for sensitivity - hmm... not easy to decide ....

humm 166esr seems to get expensive

sorry for asking maybe stupid questions, but i'm new to diy speakers :| though i know little about their physics from studying
Old 3rd February 2007, 12:24 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Ease of building is also a factor, I'd say. This has applied to electronic projects I've started - having gumption to finish is pretty important. I'm sure it goes for speakers as well.

Whatever you do, I very much look forward to hearing of your results. I'm sure others do, too.
Old 3rd February 2007, 03:35 AM   #10
gychang is offline gychang  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Godzilla

Godzilla

u r too modest, I appreciate the help for this novice.

gychang

Hide this!Advertise here!