Breakthrough...or BS?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here's a shocker from the Acoustic Visions website:

As good as the WR125 was there were people that wanted a true full range speaker that did not require a tweeter to cover the upper frequencies so CSS and Adire went back to the drawing board and created the FR125S. By adjusting the internal copper and soft parts they extended the frequency response to cover the entire upper frequencies and [now have a driver that plays +/- 3dB from 65 Hz to 20 kHz!]

Hasn't this always been the audio engineering holy grail? Are we to seriously believe that paragraph? If anyone can coroborate this, then I'm blown away - why the crap did I just spend $3k on AER MD2Bs anyway?
:cannotbe:

I own and use the FR125's

Awesome driver. But they don't offer High volume or compression. Little beamy, but nothing a Baffle step can't fix.

In other words, they need still need a sub and active crossovers for anything but nearfield or the quietest of listening levels.

At high levels and air displacement, they chuff around the phase plug.

But if low volume and/or nearfeild "holographic" imaging is what you want, these babies sure deliver. Awesome bang for buck as well.

11L 49HZ BR (little to low a tuning IMO for this driver, but oh well, sounds great)

I knew this forum would serve me well and I hope in time I can help others. I'll bet this will take MUCH time haha. Yea I owned the Lowther EX2s briefly and found the terribly-ragged FR and cone resonances to be a painful listening experience. For $500 per driver I felt cheated. No, I didn't try them in horns but I doubt any horn could bring bass response up 20db to match the monster peak at 8khz. (111db). So it's AER because I can't afford REPS. I might toy around with Fostex some more - They are more listenable than Lowther but still have some cone resonance issues. I might try slitting the cone similar to the way the 'revelator' midranges are treated.
Gear: Nuforce Ref8s monos
Nuforce P8 Preamp
Music Hall CD 25.2 modded

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.