A little ol' computer speaker project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I damarr'd the cone and cut up this little wooden plug. Kinda cute and fun the try out with cardboard OB's.

Attachments

• dscn0124.jpg
    dscn0124.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 691
Is the plug connected to the pole piece or the cone? If it's connected to the pole piece, it looks amazingly close to the voice coil former. Can you even get a pin in the gap?
Nice looking little project.
Have you decided on what type of cabinet to pop it in yet?

No doubt about you Bob. They're good rainy day projects. Make nice nearfield monitors. Small T/Ls gets the best bass from the tiny little things. Easy to knock up in PVC plumbing.

Now you can experiment with nose cone shapes. Is the plug removable, or permanently bonded?

These little beauties go from about 150 to 18K. I bet you can't guess what brand they are. And no, they aren't from Anaheim or England.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 552
The plugs are secured ala Super Dave style via metal screws and magnetism from the rear. They allow just the smallest possible gap around the edge. Not too loose...not tight. The Dammar may have been a bit much, but it was just a little fun to see how they would run afterwards. I'm going to try and whittle the plugs down some and lose the "beer can" look. I'm still looking for some really small box designs/plans. :D

Sounds like a plan. You could mount both drivers on a small baffle, change one side, check the difference in sound, attack the other channel to go a bit further than matching. ie chase the better one.

Dave has a little AP for desktop speakers, may be just the ticket.

Geoff

That would be the best 5 bucks you've ever spent. Have a look at the port and the damping material. Very simple, yet effective.

There was a pair on fleabay in oz a while back. Went for over 300 aust.

2x10" SEAS drivers + tweets for $5. Timber included. You do know what to take home.

Geoff

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Geoff H said:
2x10" SEAS drivers + tweets for $5. Timber included. You do know what to take home.

The timber is really partical board, and burns nicely (my packing bench is 6 A25 carcasses screwed together and put on wheels).

The tweeter is not too bad, particularily if you take the metal grill off. The bass drivers have fairly high Q, and could really go into a bigger box. And they struggle to get up high enuff to meet the tweeter.

Someday i'd really like to her a pair done up in a proper plywood box with decent parts in the XO.

plans are here http://www.t-linespeakers.org/classics/dynaco.html

dave

"The timber is really partical board, and burns nicely"

You're right Dave. The last lot I tried to burn is still a pile of flakes. Even petrol wouldn't get it going. Too much H2O content.

This is what I do with PC MM speakers. Amazing little critters. Ran them today whilst I was working on the Wharfies.

It's a folded concentric transmission line. 2 bits of pipe, a speaker cutout for the base. All glued together. Lots of fun, no cash outlay.

Attachments

• folded-3.jpg
    folded-3.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 188
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.