Cheap little Sony Drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Anyone seen or tried these? Small magnet, rated at 8 ohm, 2W. Accordian surround.

Attachments

• dscn0105.jpg
    dscn0105.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 510
Hi Dave, I have seen your reports on the little drivers. A handy reference. The 6" Panos are EAS-16P24EM. 8 ohm 20 w peak, ex speaker model SB-185. The cabinet makes a nice shelf. Recycle the black grill cloth.

I have measured Fo at 70 Hz, Zo of 22 ohm, Res 7.6 ohm. Deep curvilinear cone. Sound quite nice and airy with the back of the 19 litre or so cab off.

Those Sony's look like they are from a mid 70s portable cassette player. Perhaps the original ghetto blaster.

Regards,
Geoff

Geoff H said:
Those Sony's look like they are from a mid 70s portable cassette player. Perhaps the original ghetto blaster.

Regards,
Geoff

:rofl: Close, Geoff. They were 2 small boxes from a Sony "all in one" system. Two little bookshelfish sized speaker boxes, no more/no less. Had the obligatory matrix of holes and black mesh on the back board. That's what caught my eye initially. The boxes made their way to the dumpster, but they yielded about 4 feet of fine quality wool felt for dampening the FE103a's. The puzzle trick might work these into something worthy of nice boxes. As you indicated, the little paper tweets sound fairly efficient. I passed on another pair of RS Minimus, I could see "full range" through the holes in the back board. The ceramic was microscopic and I didn't think them good candidates for a ride home.

Dear Dr Bob.
You must be learning. You are getting fussy on what to take home.
I take my chances on anything. If they're no good, I save the magnets for an experimental ribbon idea.

I am guessing the Sony's have an AlNiCo magnet with a U piece about 1 3/4" wide. How about a pic from behind?

Geoff.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.