Fostex 126e or 127e - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th January 2007, 08:37 AM   #1
germpod is offline germpod  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Fostex 126e or 127e

This is my first time posting though I have been reading for a while, so naturally this is a question. After I have a few things built and have something to contribute I plan on posting more often.

I am planning on building a BIB (waiting for plywood to straighten before glueing) and a Spawn of Frugal horn and am wondering from people who have experience with both which driver they prefer, Fostex 126e or 127e to use with those two enclosures.

I currently listen to Cain and Cain noogi's but am having an urge to build a few enclosures for some experimenting.

Any help is appreciated.

Ed Robinson
Old 26th January 2007, 10:35 AM   #2
germpod is offline germpod  United States
diyAudio Member

To add a little more info, I listen to most kinds of music (rock, hip hop, classical, country, just no jazz) and am using a 25watt "gainclone" amp that a friend made for me and cat5 wire. Even though I listen to hip hop, bass is not the end all by any means. I really prefer vocals over all other sounds, though I would like more bottom end then the noogis produce
Old 26th January 2007, 12:27 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I'd go for the 126 -it's a remarkable unit. If possible, get the modified drivers from Dave of www.planet10-hifi.com The differences between tweaked and standard units are not subtle (and measurable -no voodoo here).
Old 26th January 2007, 04:48 PM   #4
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottmoose
I'd go for the 126 -it's a remarkable unit. If possible, get the modified drivers from Dave of www.planet10-hifi.com The differences between tweaked and standard units are not subtle (and measurable -no voodoo here).

well Scott, maybe a little "west coast mountain majik" , but as you say, definitely not imaginary or subtle.
Old 26th January 2007, 07:51 PM   #5
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Both drivers are excellent... i couldn't pick one over the other on sonics... with the horns you have mentioned the FE126 probably has the edge.

And speaking of BIBs... i just finished a set of drawings for my twist on an FE126/FE127 BIB.

It is inverted, has a more optimal Zd than the published design, and thru the use of some specific foot-pods, accomodates a Karlson slot... will it work. Don't know, but i'll throw it out for someone to try (many things ahead of it in our queue)

It has been dubbed the 52nd Anniversery Special Edition iBIBk FE12xe. The actual curves for the Karlson slot are an aproximation -- you are on your own there.

dave
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ibibk-fe12xe.pdf (94.7 KB, 645 views)
Old 26th January 2007, 09:09 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Crossblade Send a message via AIM to Crossblade Send a message via MSN to Crossblade Send a message via Yahoo to Crossblade
Nice Dave

This BIB looks pretty easy for doing I'm afraid I'll try it
Old 26th January 2007, 09:11 PM   #7
AuroraB is offline AuroraB  Norway
diyAudio Member

Dave/Scott??

What response will a 126E give in this version??
Old 26th January 2007, 09:42 PM   #8
holdent is offline holdent  Canada
diyAudio Member

Dave:

I've built the BIB for the FE126E and they're sitting in my living room now. I was very interested to see the wider baffle on the iBIBk design; this is absolutely necessary.

I also think that it was a good idea to invert the BIB and direct the mouth at the back wall. I suspect that this is also part of the problem for the FE126E BIB. I can't remember whether it was you, Scottmoose, or someone else in another thread who noted that the FE126E BIB may not load room well. Its relatively short for a BIB and far from the ceiling. I've just started playing with the BIB "upside down" and it does seem to be better.

[The other benefit is that I can model it with King's MathCad model and don't have to wait for any enhancements!]

-------

I'm curious about the Karlson slot. Why add this over a simple vent/opening?
Old 26th January 2007, 09:50 PM   #9
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by holdent
Dave:

-------

I'm curious about the Karlson vent. Why add this?

Unless Dave beats me to the punch, the answer is "theoretically, it should smooth out some of the ripple"

While we're on the subject of drivers in this ever-growing family of enclosures, does anyone have anecdotes to share regarding the FF series? I'm thinking the FF125K FF165K might be well suited for the metal fan & HT crowd . On paper, they certainly look to eliminate the need for tweeters.

BTW, Dave - look forward to a call from Mr Jobs' legal department on the infringement of use of the "i-" trademark.

Old 26th January 2007, 09:59 PM   #10
holdent is offline holdent  Canada
diyAudio Member

Sorry - I didn't mean to re-direct the thread.

Getting back to the topic: I really like my 126s but haven't be able to compare them to the 127s. I think you need to pick the enclosure first and then use the right driver. FE126Es for BLHs, FE127Es for BRs and MLTLs and so on (but it isn't quite that definitive).

One problem I have with the FE126E is with the response peak around 6700 Hz - it needs to be tamed. In retrospect I should've started with the modded drivers Dave sells at planet10-hifi.com.

Hide this!Advertise here!