Best low cost BIB?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Having read through the BIB thread a few times I'm really tempted to build a BIB for the 5" Monocor driver.

But my question is this, how many here have heard the Monocor in the BIB enclosure?

What's the consensus if any, of how it rates vs the Tangband drivers?

Are there any other low cost drivers that should be considered?

Thanks in advance.

Rick

Rick J. B. said:
Having read through the BIB thread a few times I'm really tempted to build a BIB for the 5" Monocor driver.

But my question is this, how many here have heard the Monocor in the BIB enclosure?

What's the consensus if any, of how it rates vs the Tangband drivers?

Are there any other low cost drivers that should be considered?

Thanks in advance.

Rick

I strongly recommend "el cheapo" speakers, I am listening to them right now with John Klemmer playing saxophone...

look here:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=89831&highlight=

gychang

Thanks a ton guys!

I knew these had been mentioned but I wanted input on how they sounded.

I'm going to order a pair of the Monacor's today, assuming I can find someone who ships to the States, and build some BIB's for them. I'm amazed that there isn't a US distributor for them.

I've been wanting to try something else in a BIB before I redo enclosures for the Lowther's. In fact I'm contemplating selling the DX 3's so I can afford a pair of MK-1's, I dunno yet.

Now Scott, when you say they don't go as high as the Fostex is that to the point that they would benefit noticeably from a tweeter? I know technically their not a fullranger at that point but couldn't this be done without introducing a crossover? Any recommendations on a tweeter to pair with the Monacor's?

Thanks again guys.

Rick

Yes. Well. That was Terry Cain. Nobody ever came close IMO when it came to sheer craftsmanship. He was the Master.

Re a tweeter, they might. I never bothered, because I didn't care. I can still hear to 22KHz, but I don't like bright speakers so the fact that they don't go as high didn't worry me too much. The Monacor 155X should go a little higher than the SPH60X. Try www.spectrumaudio.de I know they ship to the states, and they do it PDQ too.

H Rick!
As Scottmoose said, I have the Monacors too. Would say that they are really a bargain. They do lack some treble but it's not alarming. For my taste it's a benefit when paired with ss amps.

I run them with an old NAD which has treble control set at one o'clock. I have tried with an upwards firing cheap tweeter from Vifa. (old enough that label disappeared) Crossed it with 0.68 uF but I actually prefer listening without.

One thing that I would like to try is a small, cheap ring radiator by the named EB Surface Slim. I think it's made for car use but our German diy fellows loves it. It's incorperated in a speaker called Little wing.

Good luck!

Thanks Scott, I've e-mailed Spectrum.

Peter, it's good to hear of your experience with the Monacor's. Are you using the SPH-60X? Or do you use another of their drivers?

You know I finally tracked down the Surface Slim, since I'm not used to the term ring radiator, I had trouble because I'm accustomed to calling them tweeters. :D At first blush I thought they'd be some sort of mass ring like the brass ones Fostex sells.

Anyway, do you by chance have a pic you could share of your Monacor based BIB's? I'd love to see them.

Gychang, I really like the look of your MCM BIB's. How's the bass? The smaller size would certainly make them a more flexible speaker as far as placement goes.

I see you're using them with your TV. Is that a 2-channel set up or 5.1 etc.?

Again thanks for the input gentlemen.

Rick

Hi!
I use the SPH60X.

Attachments

• vincent's4;th birthday 024.jpg
    vincent's4;th birthday 024.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 1,045
Rick J. B. said:

Gychang, I really like the look of your MCM BIB's. How's the bass? The smaller size would certainly make them a more flexible speaker as far as placement goes.

I see you're using them with your TV. Is that a 2-channel set up or 5.1 etc.?

Again thanks for the input gentlemen.

Rick

Rick, although it is next to TV, I use it mainly to listen to music, I like classical/jazz. I only used it as a "TV speaker" for first few weeks to "break in" the speakers. It is a strictly 2 channel setup, I have my BIB against wall, my home has a high ceiling.

I used to have acoustat 2+2, and magenpan speakers (both not the strongest bass) but I was shocked at the amount of base in BIB given the small size of the MCM when I first fired them up. I have subsequently built another set of BIB with Fostex FE107, and I can confirm BIBs are amazing as far as the extension of bass. ( take a look here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=90973&highlight=)

High notes are definitely better with electrostatic speakers but BIB with MCM is amazing in my opinion.

gychang

peterbrorsson said:
Hi!
I use the SPH60X.

Very nice Peter! Of course it's not fair using little ones in the picture to improve the look of your work. ;) Or are you using them to add mass to the cabinetry? :) How long can you get them to hold still? Mine wouldn't last 5 minutes.

Seriously though you've done a great job, the speakers and cabinet are a nice ensemble.

I'm really surprised by the differing sizes between BIB's. Both yours and Gychang's seem so small compared to my behemoths.

I got my 6 year old, Ian, who is 47" tall, to stand still long enough to use him as a size reference in this pic of my BIB's, which are designed to big but you get the idea of what I've been dealing with in my small office.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

gychang said:

Rick, although it is next to TV, I use it mainly to listen to music, I like classical/jazz. I only used it as a "TV speaker" for first few weeks to "break in" the speakers. It is a strictly 2 channel setup, I have my BIB against wall, my home has a high ceiling.

I used to have acoustat 2+2, and magenpan speakers (both not the strongest bass) but I was shocked at the amount of base in BIB given the small size of the MCM when I first fired them up. I have subsequently built another set of BIB with Fostex FE107, and I can confirm BIBs are amazing as far as the extension of bass. ( take a look here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=90973&highlight=)

High notes are definitely better with electrostatic speakers but BIB with MCM is amazing in my opinion.

gychang

Yes, I had forgotten that thread Gychang. I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of bass you can get from a small driver like the Monacor. It'll be fun.

I've an older pair of MG 1's that recently worked their way into the system for awhile. They've a nice soft sound but need a subwoofer. They are good for a reflective room though.

Rick

Hi!
may I recomend fan grill on the speakers?, I spot a potential trouble...
Well so far no problems.(like to think well brought up kids, cross my fingers;) )

I'm really surprised by the differing sizes between BIB's. Both yours and Gychang's seem so small compared to my behemoths.
Well Monacors are 5 inch and what I can see you have 8 inch Lowthers. Also the parameters are totally different= different sizes.
Scott and the other gifted people can explain in detail.

How long can you get them to hold still? Mine wouldn't last 5 minutes

I use my reliable staple gun
:devilr:

Cheers

I use my reliable staple gun

Now that's funny. :D

Of course if my wife heard me say that she wouldn't see the humor. But then she is female.

Those are cute kids Peter, you should be proud.

As for the veneer, it's some really nice black walnut left over from a small bank teller line project. I had to put it in between several sheets of melamine to flatten it back out. It had been rolled up in a box for 3 or so years. Jeesh.

Rick

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.