Best low cost BIB?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Love all the kid pics... mine are 6 and 8... they just got their green belts in karate over the weekend.

http://www.zillaspeak.com/bib-godzillabib.asp

scroll to the bottom to see my kiddies.

I wonder how that 10 dollar driver will do in a BIB?

Fostex, Pioneer, Monacor and Tangband have great BIB drivers under $40... some closer to $20.

TB on sale at Parts Express right now actually. I just got the flyer in the mail.

http://www.zillaspeak.com/BIB-Tangband.asp

Hey all -i know this thread i old but i have just tried the sph60 and i love it!
Before the cheap monacor i have also tried fostex fe206en, fe206e, fe166en and ff165wk in BiB -but to my ears the monacor sound the sweetest.
it may have something to do with me getting listeningfatigue quite fast with bright sounding speakers.
i have so far only tried the sph60 in a BiB calculated for fostex fe166en, but with a little dampening i works preatty well.
i'm thinking that i should build a BiB specially for the sph60 so my question is -did you all use the standard measures from the bib calculator sheet?

I just bought some el166s and plan to build some BIBs as bass helpers then I thought why not get some ert26s too? That way I can switch between BIB bass helpers and BIB 2-ways. Will probably mount the tweets on the side in a separate box with the xover that I could move from speaker to speaker if I wished. It may be awhile before I can get to building but since these these drivers are in limited supply I thought I'd mention the idea in case someone else wanted to try it. You'd probably even finish before me :-(

Small drivers work surprisingly well in BIBs. Three-inchers are a whole lot of fun in a BIB. I do believe they're better suited to smallish rooms, but given that, it is absolutely fascinating what a small driver can do – they perhaps aren't as flexible as drivers that are a little larger, but there is magic in them, absolutely. The perceived size and quality of the reproduction are impressive right off the bat, and they keep on giving due to their musicality and elegance.

A 3"-driver BIB takes less wood to build, and can probably be built with a little thinner material. The slender look is amazing, too. To mention an upper bound on cost, there are exquisite 3" drivers for €30 in Europe, and very very good drivers for €20. The prices for similar drivers are probably even lower in the US.

This driver is an astoundingly good candidate for a BIB, the Omnes BB 3.01: BB 3.01 - Omnes Audio 3 inch full range driver - Europe Audio

Hello to All!

I am on a very modest budget and looking to build a bib. I am keen on using 6" coaxial car drivers for the only reason that they are very affordable and very easily available off the shelf.

My concern is, conservatively assuming an Fs = 75 hz, Qts = 1.0, and Vas = 12.5 l, would they work acceptably as coupled to a bib? I assume these figures roughly based on the data of a few such car drivers (different models by Pioneer & JBL) I had gone through many years ago. I suppose the specifications stay largely similar with these units.

The design I intend is a bib tuned at 60 hz with a 112" long line at 1/2 the wavelength. The internal dimensions could be HxWxD = 56" x 7" x 11.5" giving a volume of about 74 litres.

Could anyone please guide me if such ambition is likely to yield decent results? What should i expect with such a lethargically high Qts driver?

Thanks in anticipation,
sujat

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.