8" fullrange suitable for heavy metal? (audio nirvana)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I just sent an Email concerning a pair of Audio nirvana 8" fullrangedrivers on the bahalf of a friend who just got hooked on DIY.

Since finishing his Krell KSA-50 clone and soon to recieve my bithdaygift (Bride-of-zen-kit) he will be needing a pair of speakers and these will have to be low cost.

Since I use a pair of ZHorns Herukas with Fostex168EZ-sigma drivers, fullrange is something I like and recommend as often as possible but this friend of mine listens mostly to heavy metal. Metal like Slipknot, System of a down and similar BUT also more acoustic stuff, "nicer" music.

So my question is:
Will a pair of 8" AN-drivers is some kind of cabinet (type still undecided) produce satisfying results?
A quick and accurate bass and not to shrill and unfocused uppers?

If you know what I mean :)

Kind regards
Ken

Ps.
Before I saw the add and replied to it I thought of their 6,5" drivers so they are also an alternative.

Nasty. Er, yes and no. Best horn loaded to stop the drivers from running out of linear excursion, which in reflex or MLTLs they'll tend to come close to an octave above Fc. Xmax is over-rated IMO: a lot of the time this isn't significant, but this is a particular case. Metal has a lot of big dynamic swings, and loads of energy in the 60Hz - 100Hz regions, right where the driver is already working hardest. Problem is a lot of horns have the same problem because in reality below 100Hz they're not horns at all but QWRs.

FWIW, if you go down the 8in driver route, I'd suggest Ron Clarke's DallasII with the Fostex FE206E. That should work very well. The 206 in the factory 208ESigma cabinet will also blow the walls out quite happily, though it's not quite as refined as Ron's cab. The Fostex drivers aren't really any more expensive than the ANs when shipping is factored in: in fact, they often work out cheaper. Full-on rock with a 6.5in driver typically isn't a great idea. Probably the best option would be a BIB. That'll make a better fist of it than most anything else. Ron's Austin is another option, but won't go as low.

kmj said:
Oh, If I/We go for the 8"er it will be the AN since it was kind of a bargin so any recommendations will have to have these drivers in thought and importantly, not to hard to build.
Is it really a bargain after you factor in getting it from the States to Sweden?

Throw the AN 8" into the BiB designed for Fostex FE206E/FE207E:
http://www.zillaspeak.com/bib-fostex.asp

It's not a difficult build, but it's quite sizable. But reasonably small footprint. So if you can source decent plywood or MDF for a good price, this could be a real bang-for-buck winner.

Attachments

• saxophon nirvana.jpg
    saxophon nirvana.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 1,239
A friend of mine plays drums in a metal band and he says its all about making pressure (be aware, its a personal opinion). When i think about my Fostex Fe208EZ (8 inch fullrange), pressure is definitely not the first word that i think of. Its more about precision and a "realness" of sound.

To enhance the max spl level you could give the fullrange...

- a big enough horn to load the >50hz frequencies (play around with hornresp and visit http://melhuish.org/audio/ for advice)
- a good steep highpass filter to remove everything below the horn flare frequency (i remove everything <60hz if i dont use my woofer)
- a woofer that you cut of in the 100-500hz region and use the fullrange for the rest

I dont think the upper frequency range will be making problems, since metal doesnt have really important signals in that range. Even hearing other music i can live fine without a super tweeter, it just sounds a bit warmer, i put that off as the "character" of the speaker.

On the other hand, if your friend isnt interested in pressurising his body with harmfull spl levels and just likes to listen in a relaxed mood to not too loud music, a single fullrange driver is definitely the deal.

Have fun figuring out the best system for your friend :-]

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
AN doesnt seem such a bargain, if compared to many midwoofers

As an example, the build quality of Hemp 8" appears to be much better, at very little exstra cost

Have been thinking of a 1.5way or 2.5way with either of them
I guess double AN 10 would rock, but it gets rather expencive

In EU they are avaiable from two Germans

http://www.spectrumaudio.de/

http://www.boxen-baustelle.de/

Why don't you try "The viech"

For your metal-loving f(r)iend: he should investigate Cyburg's clever FR design "The Viech" which uses a cheap Beyma 8AG/N fullrange speaker.
I made a pair with and for a friend. These things go incredibly loud without any real effort. They have bone-dry bass that you really feel kicking, but not lower than +- 55 hz.
They are, after runniing in, also surprisingly good for other kinds of music, eg jazz.

Tom

ps another option that interest me as well is the Audio Nirvana Super 10. Sometimes, size does matter. In an easy to build 80 litres bass reflex cabinet it will give decent bass. All comments I heard about that speaker were very positive

time to raise some stink again:

Scottmoose said:
....Metal has a lot of big dynamic swings, and loads of energy in the 60Hz - 100Hz regions, right where the driver is already working hardest. Problem is a lot of horns have the same problem because in reality below 100Hz they're not horns at all but QWRs.

wanna 'xplane that to Ed2? :hot:

oh ya, y'allready did. He's certainly a subscriber to the ethos of "truthiness" . :angel:

10"

!!
T

I own fe206e with front horn 100HZ and with subs it rocks effortesly, without the subs it is skeleton metal (I listen to all kind of music but there is a lot of metal: tool, Chevelle, Adema, Kyuss, Deftones...) and I like it loud, clean soft highs, hard and deep bass, quick. And 206e can provide that. But in terms of real bell crunching bass and full lower bass you shoul look to something like eminence beta 12lt with a good ribbon tweeter in front crossed somewhere at 6000 Hz (I use 12LT with DT25N from monachor): it is fantastic for acoustic, metal-rock and big classical swings but gets short with very delicate female vocals as it is haredr in mids and less transparent than fe206s in horns. Horns are always bigger and faster sounding than many other speaker boxes. I would also look to the Silver Iris. I bet it is as good as my set with 12LT or even better. The boxes for Silver iris can be aperidoic- just a big box with lots of holes in the back and some foam layer on the inside of the back panel. Nirvana is a good but to high orineted speaker- I would not consider it for metal--earlier post said that lower mids are prominent and that is tru for rock music (bass guitar, leading low edges shoul be full and quick). Nirvana and less so the 206e would sound too sterile.

i got carried away...

kmj said:
Well, we better go for a "regular" speaker. Perhaps one from Zaph or something. Well documented and easy to build.

Based on what I've read here, I'm very curious myself about how a BIB with an AN 8" sounds. I'd suggest trying one out :) They seem very simple to build. You could even sell them if they don't suit your purposes ...

(I'll admit that I'm trying to get you to take the plunge so my AN BIB curiosity can be satisfied :) )

BTW, have you checked the very nice Swedish DIY forum at http://www.hififorum.nu/ ? You could ask around there, too; Maybe someone there knows what are most cost-effective drivers for Swedes to get, w.r.t. shipping and all that. The hififorum.nu folks seem very friendly, much like the good people here at diyaudio.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Hi, forgot to mention .... "locally" you should also be able to get a nice big coaxial ..... but then C/O could be a problem again

Or from Strassacker you could get a Emminence Beta-12 or Beta-12LT.....and combine it with a StageLine MHD-152 .... each about 55 EUR .... would like to play with that myself:clown:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.