Improvement on Epos's

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi this is my first thread. First i will let you know what i have. An Esound CDE5 cd player, Shengya A10 amp 150watts per ch, and Epos Es11 speakers. The room is approximately 13ft x 12ft with 8ft 5in. ceiling. A chimney breast protudes into the room about 15in. and the speakers are situated either side of this about 6ft 6in apart( to the centres of speakers).

I also have a Behringer DEQ2496 which i have used the pink noise generator to balance the room accoustics.

I like the idea of the full range speakers so what are your ideas of improving on the Epos's?

I like the look of the Fostex F200A not the price though. the F120A may be to small do you think as i was looking for something larger than the Epos drivers. I have many more questions as i think speakers are the hardest part of the link to put together.

Thank you for your experienced views.

Holty,

some random thoughts:

What do you like/dislike about the Epos? I owned the ES11s for about 10yrs, and I always liked the midrange; in fact, the ES11s' bass drivers do not have any correction network or XO. On the downside, as they are using some kind of PP they're not the fastest drivers on earth.

The tweeter is coupled using a resistor and a cap, so in fact this speaker is - from the XO POV - very close to some fullrange setups.

One thing that can easily be improved on IMHO is the Epos' bass, I always found it boomy and a bit one-note-ish; any properly designed closed box speaker will beat this.
It might be worth a try to build a nice sub and cut the Epos' bass from 100Hz downwards.

The midrange is hard to beat IMHO, particularly if you use a sand amp.

Best,
Oliver

I have heard Fostex F200 in Bob Brines TWQT and this has full range sound but it is rough in the HF even with notch filter to fix 5dB peak in upper midrange. People here have said the F120 bass is slow and does not keep up with the upper freq's. Possibly the cone flexes.
You may like Creative Sound's FR125. This is a full range 4" but I found the bass to dominate the music. Then there is Jordan but some find the HF too bright.
I am going the try Cyburg's Needles design or TABAQ around the 3" Tang-Band W3-871s as i have not found a 4 or 5" driver that I have liked. this design is ~full range from 50-20,000 hz. It does not play loud and i don't expect to have the HF resolution of a 1' metal tweeter but for a couple hundred bucks should be competitive.

Thanks for the replies. Something for me to think about.
I do like the sound from the Epos's but think i could get some deeper bass from some better speakers. Actually i think they are a fast speaker as i have listened to a few floorstanders and thought they were slow compared to mine. A sealed box perhaps with a 2 way design maybe a better option. I'll pop over to the loudspeaker section and see what they come up with.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.