166 es-r BLH w/ t90a supertweeter - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th January 2007, 06:10 PM   #1
kazoo is offline kazoo  United States
diyAudio Member

Default 166 es-r BLH w/ t90a supertweeter

Hi,
Has anyone tried this combination? I am looking into doing this combination but wanted some opinions first before I spend the money. Thanks for any input,
John
Old 8th January 2007, 08:51 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Yes. I bought the tweeters about 2 months ago. I have them capped in using a 0.68 uf cap. I feel the tweeters add air and sparkle without bringing attention to themselves; a worthwhile addition.

YMMV,

Bill
Old 8th January 2007, 10:59 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I'm in the process of intergrating a pair with my 166esr's. Smallest cap I have on hand is a 1.5uf which is definitely not small enough. Will be ordering smaller ones to try.

Badwater

Are you using a fixed or variable value Lpad with your T90's? I have a cheap variable Lpad at the moment but wouldn't mind ording the parts for a good quality quality one when I order the smaller caps. Also have you tried any other sized caps with your t90's beside the 0.68uf's?
Old 8th January 2007, 11:14 PM   #4
dmason is offline dmason  United States
diyAudio Member

I would suggest using very decent ALPS pots for those nice Fostex tweeters. I use the Black Beauty's with a pair of Visaton TL16 supertweeter horn which are on top of a 4ft^3 ported enclosure loaded with the 8 inch Hemp cone with the whizzer extracted. This is a very fine sounding BR load, far, far better than we had imagined. The supertweeter adds air, and again doesnt draw attention to itself. I bet the Fostex might sound even better.
Old 9th January 2007, 02:13 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks guys that is what I needed to push me over the little hump. I will report back once I get these on how they sound.
Old 9th January 2007, 05:31 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default L-PAD

No L-PAD is used and one doesn’t seem to be necessary.

Right now I am using a cheap cap and Rat Shack 14 ga. speaker wire; I also have wiring harnesses made up for a 0.47 and 0.33 caps that I can switch in and out. I haven't decided which one I will eventually go with. After I have decided I will pick up couple of fancy dancy Fostex caps and wire from Madisound, although I am not sure if it will make a significant difference…..Any thoughts on this?

Bill
Old 9th January 2007, 07:44 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

One more question on this. The L-pad is used to adjust the volume to match the driver, correct? Now for the caps, is there a spreadsheet that shows what value of cap will cross the tweeter at what frequency? So I guess a 0.47 would be 7000 Hz and .33 would be 8000 hz? Am I correct on this? I know the values will be different but is there something that shows the correlation. Pardon the question I am new to this.

John
Old 10th January 2007, 08:14 PM   #8
no xo is offline no xo  United States
diyAudio Member

Kazoo, Godzilla has a chart on his website that gives you roll off points for different value caps. There is alot more good info on his site also.
Old 11th January 2007, 02:02 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the info. I have been on his site looking at BIBs but never noticed the other stuff.
Old 11th January 2007, 04:03 PM   #10
no xo is offline no xo  United States
diyAudio Member

Kazoo, where are you at in IL? Not many DIYer`s in my neck of the woods, Dekalb County.

Hide this!Advertise here!