166 es-r BLH w/ t90a supertweeter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm in the process of intergrating a pair with my 166esr's. Smallest cap I have on hand is a 1.5uf which is definitely not small enough. Will be ordering smaller ones to try.

Badwater

Are you using a fixed or variable value Lpad with your T90's? I have a cheap variable Lpad at the moment but wouldn't mind ording the parts for a good quality quality one when I order the smaller caps. Also have you tried any other sized caps with your t90's beside the 0.68uf's?

I would suggest using very decent ALPS pots for those nice Fostex tweeters. I use the Black Beauty's with a pair of Visaton TL16 supertweeter horn which are on top of a 4ft^3 ported enclosure loaded with the 8 inch Hemp cone with the whizzer extracted. This is a very fine sounding BR load, far, far better than we had imagined. The supertweeter adds air, and again doesnt draw attention to itself. I bet the Fostex might sound even better.

L-PAD

No L-PAD is used and one doesn’t seem to be necessary.

Right now I am using a cheap cap and Rat Shack 14 ga. speaker wire; I also have wiring harnesses made up for a 0.47 and 0.33 caps that I can switch in and out. I haven't decided which one I will eventually go with. After I have decided I will pick up couple of fancy dancy Fostex caps and wire from Madisound, although I am not sure if it will make a significant difference…..Any thoughts on this?

Bill

One more question on this. The L-pad is used to adjust the volume to match the driver, correct? Now for the caps, is there a spreadsheet that shows what value of cap will cross the tweeter at what frequency? So I guess a 0.47 would be 7000 Hz and .33 would be 8000 hz? Am I correct on this? I know the values will be different but is there something that shows the correlation. Pardon the question I am new to this.

John

Im actually in Peoria. Its 2.5 hours south of Chicago in central IL.

Now one more question. I looked at Godzilla spreadsheet and as an example it says 1.0 cap at 8ohms will be at 20K hz. So does that mean that the cap will block all freqencies from 20k hz down going to the tweeter? If that is the case it also says .47 is 42K hz so that would mean that the tweeter would not receive any frequencies and Badwater mentioned that he has harnesses made up for .47 and .33 caps. What am I missing here. Please educate me.
Thanks,

John

Hey Kazoo, I was born in Peoria, grew up in St Charles and graduated from Bradley. I try to take a motorcycle ride to Peoria in the spring or fall. I love that ride down 29. What Godzilla`s chart tells you is what frequency the roll off begins. With a simple 1st order XO you get 6db per octave roll off. I use .33mfd caps on my T90AEX`s, which would seem to much, but they are still a little brite and I will have to use an Lpad or pot for further attenuation. I seem to like my speakers without the tweeter. I feel the sound in more coherent and the HF extension of the FE206ERS contiues to improve with break in. A trade off, extended HF`s or better imaging and less fatigue. The sensitivity of the tweeters is greater than the FE206ESR, so a small value cap brings the level down, more in line with the output of the main driver. You should expiriment with different value caps, as well as wiring the tweeter out of phase with the main driver, to find what you like the sound of most. Keep us posted, NOXO

I know what you mean by Rt 29. I usually take a ride in the car on it. I actually grew up in Berwyn, grandparents lived in St. Charles.

Well it will probably be a while before I get them. I need to save up a couple more pennies. But I will take your sugestion and try different caps to see what I like. Did you ever try to turn your tweeter around. I heard someone doing it with good results. Once i get these I will play around to see what I like. Later,

John

The more the FE206ESRs break in, the less I feel the need for the tweeter. I`ll eventually have to try an Lpad to bring them down some more, and wonder if a larger value cap will be a better match with some attenuation........ or maybe just forget the tweeters all together. For now NOXO.

Hi Rcdaniel,
Thank you very much for those links. That is what I was looking for. I played with the calculator for a little while and now Godzilla's site makes more cense. So anyone using a cap smaller than 1.0 mf is crossing the tweeter above 20000 hz. So that is why there is no interaction with the driver because it is being crossed higher than the frequency the driver produces. Once I get the tweeter I will get different caps and see what works the best. Thanks again.

John

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.