VTL - a few questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

A couple of newb questions re the Jordan VTL cabinet:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Why is the line not 'squared off' below the angled chamber as shown here?:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

And also, how is the distance of the driver from the top of the cabinet calculated

Thanks,

Lee

At the low frequencies the transmission line is designed to operate, the extra panel you suggest would make negligible difference to it's performance.

I think the driver has been positioned equidistant from sides and top of the enclosere for asthetic reasons, although there may be an acoustic reason for this too. (implementing baffle step compensation perhaps)

There is a good bit of information on E.J.Jordan's website. and if you require further information, you can contect him too.

http://www.ejjordan.co.uk.html

Keeping the internal baffle at an angle reduces the number of parallel surfaces inside the top chamber, so it should sound better than a flat baffle (fewer strong resonances).

If determined to make it square, calculate the volume of the chamber as it is part of the design. It establishes the region where the line decouples from the chamber (above a certain frequency, the line ceases to laod the drive unit and the driver behaves as though it is loaded by the chamber alone - reducing dips and peaks in mid-range response).

Given that the VTL is a balanced design refined over several prototypes, I'd stick with it as published. The only change you could make is to the position of the driver so that it is not equidistant from top and sides - this is for almost certainly for visual reasons rather than acoustic.

(This is the cue for someone to give a more technical answer than that second paragraph.)

Have you considered the MLTL-31 and MLTL-48 designs?

The VTL was designed before reliable simulation software was available for transmission line enclosures. The MLTL designs go lower and flatter.

The nice thing about the VTL, in my opinion, is the wide baffle, but you could very easily add a false baffle to the MLTL designs. Another nifty thing with the VTL is the stand and the downward venting, but again you could alter the MLTL designs to do exactly that. If you went that route, I would try scale drawings and or models to verify the visual aesthetic.

You could modify the MLTL designs to have a similar wide baffle to the VTL, as long as you keep the cross sectional area the same as the original MLTL designs. (They're actually similar to the VTL.) With a 12 inch wide enclosure, you'd be free to have the vent firing to the side, with plenty of space around the port inside the cabinet.

The only problem with a wide MLTL is that visually it would be imposing - you need to have them tall to get the driver high enough.

One more question regarding dimensions of the VTL... Can anyone confirm if the 18cm dimension for the position of the angled baffle is measured internally or externally? The published drawing suggests external, but that means the line expands from 8.8cm to 11cm at the bottom bend before reducing to 7cm. Positioning the angled baffle at 18cm internally would seem to make more sense but the drawing is open to interpretation. Any help appreciated before I start cutting and glueing.

Matt

One more question regarding dimensions of the VTL... Can anyone confirm if the 18cm dimension for the position of the angled baffle is measured internally or externally? The published drawing suggests external, but that means the line expands from 8.8cm to 11cm at the bottom bend before reducing to 7cm. Positioning the angled baffle at 18cm internally would seem to make more sense but the drawing is open to interpretation. Any help appreciated before I start cutting and glueing.

Matt

I finally finished my VTLs yesterday and got to listen to them for 3 hours last night. This is my first foray into full range drivers coming from Proac Tablette IIs, and I was suprised at my first impressions. With the speakers toed-in as recommended choral and synthesier are just magical, and drums have a really tangible quality. But what really suprised me was the lack of top-end sparkle. Is that what I should expect from the Jordans, will the top-end improve with break-in, or could it be a side effect of the BSC circuit I included?

Matt

The 92 doesn't reach as high as a dedicated tweeter (or the JXR6) but I've read at least one post which says it improves with listening (break in or acclimatisation, I'm not sure which). Do a search for the Jim Griffin designs as he's added a ribbon tweeter.

The BSC will alter the balance so you could try without and see what you think.

Hi guys, just a quick question in regards to the VTL filter, the Jordan website states the inductor and resistor in series. For termination does this mean speaker + inductor + resistor or speaker + resistor + inductor? :confused: Also, (just want to make sure I don't screw this up) want to clarify the series configuration means everything is in a line rather than parallel which seems to be more common? This is my first full range project, just want to make sure everything is correct..... :)

Hmm. They've written '...the bass performance in small enclosures can be enhanced by the use of a simple passive network in series with the driver, comprising a serier [sic] resistor 'R' with an inductor 'L'.'

What I suspect they actually mean is that you are adding the circuit in series with the driver, the circuit itself featuring the inductor paralleled with the resistor.

Well they're sounding better by the hour and my ears are re-tuning. I don't think I'll mess with the BSC circuit (my soldering skills are attrocious).

Can I just say thanks to everyone here for enthusing me and giving me the confidence to build these. Thanks a lot.

Thanks

Attachments

• dscf4869.jpg
    dscf4869.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 254
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.