WAF strikes again

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well sadly to say after discussing my plan to build the 208 blh, I could tell she(the boss)was less than thrilled at their size.
The last pair I built was a pair of large front loaded horns which sounded awesome but were very unattractive in our living room. She was a good sport about those so i decided to not insist on building the 208"s

Anyway I ordered 2 pairs of the css wr125s drivers so what ever I build will be around those.

I have seen the most common designs for these but have not made a final choice yet.
Any thoughts or comments would be a great help.

I have some tweeters on hand already if need be.

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Well truthfully I adore the idea of an open baffle mtm set up. I have a pair of 12"bass drivers on hand which could be either set up in a side firing box (to keep it slim) or a separate sub.

However I know absolutely nothing about open baffles and would have no clue what dimensions it should be.

adason said:
personaly I would no bother with blh
not enough deep bass anyway

Want to bet? Try listening to a pair of FE208ESigmas in the Foxtex factory enclosure or a pair of FF165Ks in a BIB. ;)

125s in a BIB would be a good move as they've plenty of excursion. You'll probably need the tweeter as they're about done by 10KHz, but other than that you're well away. Jim Griffin's bipole MLTL is an excellent cabinet too. Bit different of course!

personaly I would no bother with blh
not enough deep bass anyway

????????, Please define deep bass? Some of the BIBs get down to near 30 Hz, even my A166( Fostex FE166e) gets down to 40 Hz corner loaded and thats more dependant on horn action even if the first action is TL.

ron

I also have problems with an unreasonable wife, at one point she actually told me that having 11 pairs of speakers in our living room (12 X 19 feet) was a little too much! My suggestion that we consider selling some furniture didn't get the reception that I had hoped for, so I ended up distributing the speakers to other parts of the house.

I would tempted to build a pair of Bipole speakers using the WR-125s, with a tweeter in front, crossed over with a simple capacitor. There are several designs to choose from at the Planet 10 website. They go down pretty low and any need for lower bass could be supplied by a sub tucked out of the way. If it's constructed as an end table or coffee table, then so much the better. The bipoles themselves are, or can be, very elegant looking and no wife has ever complained about a speaker being too attractive. Seems to me that you've got just about everything needed to get started, so don't agonize over it, buy your wood, MDF or whatever and fire up the saw.

Best Regards,
TerryO

Wow I thought my wife was bad not wanting one pair of horns in the lr. Imagine the nerve of your wife thinking 11 pairs is unreasonable.

You may want to reconsider selling furniture and sell your wife...lol:xeye:

I found another very elegant design that i am really looking at. I was playing around with my software and it looked like it would work pretty good Mind you the software is old and i have no clue how to use it:D

Here is the link
http://vicdiy.com/products/spkr06/image/detail_sunpouzu.gif

Joined 2004
Paid Member
So you are stating that you get a higher SPL at low frequencies than the mids or high frequencies?

I use separate amplifier for subwoofer and 32 band digital equalizer for whole system
all I care is flat frequency response

I am definitely not stating what you wrote, read my posts again

btw, if you will try to make deep bass out of 6" fullrange and you will equalize electronicaly, all you will achieve is to mess up the midrange, thats not worth it
if you free your midrange from deep bass duties, it will clear up the midrange, which is a good think, I believe

plus, if you place it on open baffle, you will achieve another level of midrange purity, which is a good think, I believe

so you are saying you can achieve 20 Hz -3 dB in the room with your small fullrange in blh at reasonable spl?

Interesting.

adason -where did the subs suddenly come from? I've no problem with the things, don't get me wrong, but I fail to see the relevance to the point Ron and I take issue with: your sweeping and incorrect statement that horns (any of them) don't do bass. You might just as well have said that reflex boxes don't do bass. Or MLTLs. Or MLTQWT. Or TLs. Or sealed boxes. Or... (you get the idea). It depends what you put in them, and what you design the speaker to achieve. Horns are no different to anything else in this respect. As evidenced by the enclosures called 'bass horns.' I can do a dedicated bass horn that's flat to 20Hz at ~100db with the right driver. So can Ron. So can you. So can anyone who wishes to. We're not arguing FR vs dedicated bass systems (a dedicated system will always be superior, particularly in dynamic terms): we're taking issue with your remark that horns full stop don't do bass. They can, and they do.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
adason -where did the subs suddenly come from?

where? read my first post
i was advocating for very good WAF factor for small fullrange satelites supported by subwoofer
that would have numerous benefits, like smaller boxes, because they would not need to go deep, sub would be hidden

all i said that small fullrange (4-6" with pretty high Fs) in blh would not go deep enough and would have many drawbacks and compromises

i am not going to repeat that here again
read previous posts

i am nor arguing that hornloaded sub with dedicated woofers does not go deep, where did that come from? where did I wrote that?
are you missinterpreting my posts?
why?

You might just as well have said that reflex boxes don't do bass. Or MLTLs. Or MLTQWT. Or TLs. Or sealed boxes. Or... (you get the idea).

what kind of nonsence is this? did I ever mentioned anything like this?
no, i do not get the idea

all I was saying that if you expect deep bass from blh done with small fullrange, you are wrong

i am sure you are familiar with Nelson Pass effort with KleinHorn? I am sure he did everything right still did not make it very deep and required subwoofer at the end...a dedicated subwoofer

all I am saying is that if you use little twinky fullrange only from let say 120 Hz up, you get benef...fu#$, I am not going to repeat myself

i am out of this thread, i just wanted to offer a couple options for the title of thread...waf friendly system

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.