Supravox 215 and backhorns

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dear all

I do not have enough room here to try the supravox 215 in OB (it needs about 2 meters from the wall to give its best) and I was wondering if it made sense to try and tweak one of the nagaoka or fostex (the 208??) enclosures for this driver?

From what I gather from the web, trials with the "universal" MJK MLTL needed a lot of tweak, so I was wondering if a good BLH would not be able to give a fine tonal balance?

Any hint concerning enclosures will be appreciated!

H jsb,

Here's what Scottmoose generously gave me offline for the non-bicone RTF64 Straight-MLTL:

Here's a rough one (internal dimensions):

42in line length
12.5in deep
16in wide
Zdriver 8in
Port 4in up from base; 4in diameter, 1in long.
0.25lbs/ft^3 stuffing in the first 30in. = .868lbs. Total

Bracing following Scott's 'swiss cheese' approach using the golden ratio cross-section.

I haven't built it but I have no doubt it would sound great... *thanks Scott!* Attached below is the Mathcad response he sent me.

fred

Attachments

• 215rtf64_mltl.gif
    215rtf64_mltl.gif
    5.5 KB · Views: 422
Hey

Thanks to all!! I was thinking of a BLH as I

- need to have something "manageable" (no 1,70*1,70m thing)

- wish to avoid implementing BSC

But the Qts is of course devised for OBs.

I'd be glad to try the MLTL but I'm worried with the correction issue (it would be a pity to waste my KR842's 7 watts in a passive filter). I have now, running on my system, a couple of FE207 DBRs; they're quite good, and have more bass than enough, but the DBR enclosure reduces the efficiency, and the supravoxes are way smoother for voices.
There's no hurry, but having the drivers, I want to make sure I've something to build during the next break, in spring or summer.

jsb

I don't mean to change the topic but could anyone of you Supravox users tell me about their sound? It is so hard to get information on these French drivers. Even in Paris i was unable to get an audition on this or the Fertin. PHY-HP where great but i really wanted to hear a modern field coil.

Back to the issue the field coil sound does anyone have an issue with beaming or being restricted to one type of music. Trying to justify trading my rebuilt QUAD 57'!

Thank you all, this is a interesting thread!

Mastistube,

too bad about your trip to Paris, France.

You could have gone to Ebénisterie et Musique in Paris,

where the built great speaker with the Fertin 20Ex fielcoil.

I think by now, the audio community know that I can offer

them all the necessary info on the Fertin line of drivers.

Fertin has improve the 20EX with a treated cone,

new spider and a new voice-coil.

So next time you go to Paris, I'll make sure you can

listen to a Fertin.

215sb

Sorry all people but I don´t speak english.
Hola XCortes.
Estoy metido en la fabricación de de unos 215Sb con la caja que recomienda el fabricante y tengo una serie de problemas y dudas que seguramente podras ayudarme a resolver. Estaría muy agradecido de tu atención.
Escribeme si lo crees más apropiado a josehumbertoarrobacanariastelecom.com (No consigo enviarte un privado) y te comento el asunto e intercambiamos impresiones.
Atentamente
José Humberto

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.