What Does Fostex "Rated Input" and "Music Power" - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th December 2006, 08:47 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default What Does Fostex "Rated Input" and "Music Power"

On all the Fostex Data sheets there are these 2 values "Rated Input" and "Music Power"

does anyone Know what these mean?

I can't tell if the "rated input" is the "recomended Input" and the Music Power is the "max input" or what is runs best at or what. It would be great to debunk this.

I have the F120A's Rated Input 10W and Music Power 30W. I have a 70 watt class A triode amp and don't want to blow the heak out of them.

Thanks
Mark
Old 28th December 2006, 09:04 PM   #2
bigwill is offline bigwill  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

You wont blow them up with your amplifier as long as you don't bottom them out with lots of bass or play them ridiculously loud
Old 29th December 2006, 07:52 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

It sounds to me like the Rated Power has been specified in RMS, and the derivation of Music Power is directly as a result of so many manufacturers rating systems by the peak-to-peak measurement of the rated output. Fostex are just trying not to get left behind in the rush of exaggerated power output advertising blurb.
Old 2nd January 2007, 08:31 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I found my answer, I though I would share. It was on the Fostexinternational website.

INPUT POWER
Indication of input power may be for both 'maximum allowable input power' and 'rated input power', or for either one of them. The fact that they are given different definitions makes it necessary to confirm that such figures are adequate for your intended application.

(1) MAXIMUM ALLOWABLE INPUT POWER
This term defines the maximum input power which can be momentarily applied to the driver. However, note must be taken that such power is a measurement of certain individual frequencies, and thus, not allowed for every frequency point. To be safe, input power defined using the term 'Music' should be considered, in that it indicates peak input power encountered during reproduction of a general music source. In no sense do input values mean that no sound will be produced unless such power is input, nor may drivers be damaged unless the output power of an amplifier is lower than the input value. Under ordinary listening conditions in homes, the possibility of excessive power being input will be rare even with an amplifier having output capability of up to several hundred watts, except under extraordinary conditions. Apart from occasions for PA purposes or where drivers are driven for experimental purposes, input values may be regarded as certain guidelines for enjoyable reproduction of Hi-Fi sound in homes.

(2) RATED INPUT POWER
This value represents the upper limit of the power which may be continuously input into drivers. It must be noted, however, that, as with the maximum allowable input power, such values are effective only for certain selected frequencies, not for the entire audio spectrum. Nor, does it mean that such value can be input if the frequency of interest is constant, as for some special purposes such as measurement or experiment purposes. Continuous input of a single frequency should be interpreted as if the driver load is substantial and very burdensome.
Old 13th October 2012, 03:18 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark02131 View Post
It must be noted, however, that, as with the maximum allowable input power, such values are effective only for certain selected frequencies, not for the entire audio spectrum.
how to determine this 'certain selected frequencies'?
Old 13th October 2012, 05:18 AM   #6
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

It is all more or less of little import.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!