Help! Disappointed with Visaton B200

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Good one!
I do this with my ESL mid-treble panels, works great!

I use a piece of 'pritex' for it and put it in a half circle behind the panel, attached to the sides....knobs of the foam pointed towards the 'driver'...Glued pieces in the top and the bottom... It's like a 'foam enclosure'...;)

galop - this driver is designed to sound best on it's own, so it's more than capable of doing the bass and treble that other drivers may not. Introducing these extra speakers won't increase the bandwidth by much (that's the usual reason why tweeters/bass drivers are added), but there's likely to be some degrading of sound quality.

B200

Hello,

"this driver is designed to sound best on it's own"
thats right.

i have superb experience with the B200 in my sat-horns,
also to see at the measurements,
the B200 ist also available in my double horns very good,
specially useful for classic listeners.

Attachments

• rdhb200.jpg
    rdhb200.jpg
    371.9 KB · Views: 576
  • sathornb200web.jpg
    sathornb200web.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 558
  • trumpet B200 0,15,30,.gif
    trumpet B200 0,15,30,.gif
    13.2 KB · Views: 558
can i use b200 in 3 sistem loudspeakers for mid range?I thinking to use 2 x kef b139 1xb200 and tweeter. Is this right way?

Yes and no. It depends what you want to achieve.

The B200 is well regarded, but possessing both a high Q and a high Vas, it isn't an especially easy driver to work with, and has some characteristics that bother certain listeners, particularly in its higher frequencies. Employing it as a wide bandwidth midrange driver however makes considerable sense, and you may effect a considerable improvement in system capabilities providing the crossovers are located and designed properly.

For example, crossing to dedicated bass drivers at, say, 200Hz will effect a massive improvement on the available dynamic headroom of the system. Horst demonstrates something along these lines with his statelite horns, which are intended to be run to about this point (or just below) and then hand over to bass units. Chances are you would also obtain far more useful bass extension into the bargain, as a single B200 requires a very large cabinet indeed (by contemporary standards) to produce a decent low frequency response. And crossing to a well-selected, quality tweeter at, say, 8KHz should also bring far superior high frequency results, with an improved polar response / dispersion and linearity. Note that in both these cases, the XO is outside the telephone band (critical hearing bandwidth, or midrange if you prefer) defined by Bell Labs back in the 1930s as stretching from 200Hz - 4KHz and amply demonstrated by the Fletcher - Munson / Equal Loudness curves, thus minimising XO related nasties. Both, if done well, should be inaudible in practice. That 200Hz point would suit the B139 rather well as it happens, as it is not a driver that likes being crossed much higher.

Last edited:
Of course they are designed for OB with a great high qts. Bit baffled by the comments about "dull" sounding filters...like the components have this quality all by themselves! Instead of all this subjectivist "appraisal" get yourself a Dats kit from Parts Express and measure the device in question....any simple free programme will give you the component values? Or use Xsim...(awesome..and thank you!!) Or of course forget passive (right thing to do) and go active...preferably dsp active. These are not the ramblings of a heretic, just someone who has been involved in professional loudspeaker design for too many years!!! (SoundRight - Excellence in sound quality )

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.