Help! Disappointed with Visaton B200 - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st January 2007, 02:50 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

I don't think you can draw any conclusion about the B200 sound from TOOL. But with jazz there is a very simple test and that's where you hear the cymbals in the soundpicture. They might be close in front or in the back where they belong. With the LR-circuit they will be in the back. Vinnie R of Red Wine Audio taught me this simple lesson about balanced loudspeaker sound and dead right he was.

Dmason is right in that B200 actually improves in the high end with more hours on them. Even the Germans now regard B200 as possibly the best Fullranger around for the moment. See Hi-Fi Selbstbau.

/Erling
Old 1st January 2007, 03:19 PM   #32
JandG is offline JandG  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Sure you can....

"TOOL" has one of the finest drummers alive . Most won't argue that point, but to each his own. All cymbals & such are where they belong, in the back. No filters bieng used here.
Old 1st January 2007, 03:34 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

I too listen to TOOL with great pleasure with my B200 OBs. But
I would not be able to judge how 'natural' or 'balanced' they sound from the synth sound only.

In the Audio-Circle thread we agreed to that people are very different with regard to the sensitivity of the B200 treble rise.
Some, like myself, cant stand it, others just love the B200. I find it most annoying on Symphony Orchestra violins which are just too much.

I should add that some might construct OBs that emphazise the lower midrange in a way that balances the treble rise, it is not impossible. But I, myself, think the B200 sounds as it measures if not even worse in normal listening rooms.

That said, it's a speaker in a class of its own, price taken into consideration.

/Erling
Old 1st January 2007, 05:55 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

Default I think the next step up for me .

would be top line Supravox Alnico's or something similar, so that will be wa down the road..I ain't even going to try & beat it @ this price range. Does everything I want it to. Listening to Amani A.W. Murray & Ener-JAZZ " Continuum" last night shows balace to me..my room & everything else could help this I suppose. I do know if someones front end has a crap op-amp in the way or Lytic or over loading the amp with a hot pre-amp & such , they would be NOT happy with B200's, I consider them revieling as a mofo. which for many would be bad....I wish my vinyl rig was up to par, so I can get a real grip on how good these are for the $. I am building another NOS DAC that has Lundahl input Trannies & direct tap from I/V conversion to Lundahl output trannies. will see if it beats my NOS by-passed output stage DAC, via cap coupled.Should be fun...Wish I had 2500.00 lying around as I would try the Supravox, some day I will. they look like ME........
Old 1st January 2007, 06:25 PM   #35
dmason is offline dmason  United States
diyAudio Member

JandG

You bring up a point: for some time I have been thinking that the occasional polarized opinion of the overall B200 vibe has ALOT more to do with what is talking to it; impedance matching is a much bigger deal, with wideband, actively amplified situations.

When you minimize/optimize upstream circuits, exactly like battery driven NOS DAC's, clean amplification, like simple DHT triode circuits with these things,they likely will leave the Supravox behind. Several people in Germany have opined that a properly fed B200 will KILL the Supravox field coil units, in their opinion; I would still love to hear them, I bet they are great, and I want to try some field coil speakers. The US distributor lives up the road from me.

I also bet on 1,000 active musical hours making the best and biggest difference in the beholder's beauty; this is being discussed right now over at that DarkStar circle, on audiocircle. Like I previously said, with NOS DAC's and really nice SET/T amps, in my experience, and that of maaaany others, the B200 becomes a sonic holograph projector. Scary good, in the dark, and on the pipe.
Old 1st January 2007, 06:35 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

Can anyone offer a comparison between these and the silver iris drivers?
Old 1st January 2007, 09:09 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

Default How about 1- 6sn7 output..

I tried my lil 6sl7/6sn7 se amp with the b200's this mourning & still going strong with Linda Perry "In Flight" great vocalist she is..just great..This lil flea amp gets you that scary good, & is definaley a holographic projector. just cool....I installed a 80hz high pass on the lil critter cuz it is outstanding till bass comes around then it distorts,, we;ll see how the high pass does. sad if this doesn't work, because it is something to hear..I have heard enough to build a proper one for sure, this one is a sloppy build..& still you would NOT believe..
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 1st January 2007, 10:18 PM   #38
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Default Re: How about 1- 6sn7 output..

Quote:
Originally posted by JandG
I tried my lil 6sl7/6sn7 se amp with the b200's this mourning & still going strong with Linda Perry "In Flight" great vocalist she is..just great..This lil flea amp gets you that scary good, & is definaley a holographic projector. just cool....I installed a 80hz high pass on the lil critter cuz it is outstanding till bass comes around then it distorts,, we;ll see how the high pass does. sad if this doesn't work, because it is something to hear..I have heard enough to build a proper one for sure, this one is a sloppy build..& still you would NOT believe..

I just like your pictures..............
Old 2nd January 2007, 01:17 PM   #39
Vix is offline Vix  Yugoslavia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by skorpion
In the Audio-Circle thread we agreed to that people are very different with regard to the sensitivity of the B200 treble rise.
Some, like myself, cant stand it, others just love the B200. I find it most annoying on Symphony Orchestra violins which are just too much.

/Erling

Apparently I belong to those who are sensitive to B200 treble rise. It is quite annoying sometimes (with violins of course), or I get the feeling that the singer is shouting right at my ear, while the rest of the band is placed a couple of feets back. (This is with RL filter, without it the sound is cleaner but more shouty as well).

However, there are two things that could change this 1. Work hours 2. OB

The driver is brand new with no more than 20 Hrs on it. Second, OB should ameliorate the complete sound experience, making the shout less noticeable. (B200's are still in a sealed box, which muffle the sound a bit I guess)

So far, I've decided to go for the baffles similar to these:

http://www.sixmoons.com/audioreview.../roadtour5.html

Regards,

Vix
Old 2nd January 2007, 01:22 PM   #40
diyAudio Member

A man of taste and decency. That's rougly what I'm planning when I get around to buying / affording a pair.

Hide this!Advertise here!