Help! Disappointed with Visaton B200 - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th December 2006, 03:48 PM   #21
Vix is online now Vix  Yugoslavia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dmason
That brings up another point: women seem to LOVE the sonic signature of the B200. Little Miss Sensitive Ears tends to be attracted and therefore aroused by the sound of her music played thru these things, on an open baffle, so the business end of the "DarkStar" brings many good things to the beholder. It is true: The B200 on open baffle will supercharge one's sex life, assuming one has one, of course. This alone is a very good reason to choose this "load."

Old 27th December 2006, 07:30 PM   #22
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Thanks Dan,
Is Nigel B "Mr Content" on the Decware forum?
Old 27th December 2006, 08:39 PM   #23
dmason is offline dmason  United States
diyAudio Member

Mr Content = Nigel of Oz
Old 28th December 2006, 08:20 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Regarding Louis of Omega I might be the reason why no B200 baffle is produced. I brought in the simple 1 mH + 8 ohm LR-circuit to trim the B200 response. Louis evidently never use electrical components in his speakers. I think he had to admit that the single B200 on the winged baffle sounded better with the LR-circuit than without it, hence no B200 baffle.

/Erling
Old 29th December 2006, 01:10 AM   #25
JandG is offline JandG  United States
diyAudio Member

Default I don't know if this helps but.

I just got about 50hrs on my B200's in OB & I am convinced, my driver search is over for some time & can just build tube amps next year. all year...also NO FILTERS, none needed IMHO.
Old 30th December 2006, 10:13 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

-> JandG
What kind of music did you listen on B200? I think you will change your mind about notch filter for B200 if you just try it
Old 30th December 2006, 11:20 AM   #27
Klimon is offline Klimon  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Quote:
my driver search is over for some time & can just build tube amps next year
Congratulations --- Sounds like a dream to me, finally being able to evaluate different amps without having to worry about the speakers. It's becoming more and more striking how many people have found their 'definite' speakers in B200 open baffle.

What puzzles me is how the strongly rising upper response of these drivers doesn't seem to cause any/much problems in OB (based on the FR alone I would predict ear-shredding performance). I can only think of two reason that would explain the good performance in open baffle, both attenuating the lifted high-range:

-- the backside of the membrane rolls of earlier (that side doesn't benefit from the hyperbolic cone shape)

-- HF are more directional then LF so less of them reach the listener at the other side; thereby providing 'natural' equalisation?

Any comments?

Simon
Old 30th December 2006, 11:27 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

Probably both. Also, note that manufacturers data often tends to be a trife, er, inacurate in some respects, so many drivers might not have such a significant lift.
Old 30th December 2006, 01:28 PM   #29
JandG is offline JandG  United States
diyAudio Member

Default My musical taste is broad..

I have tested the B200's with Loreena McKennitt, Nora Jones, all kinds of JAZZ old & new, to the complete oposite end as in TOOL, which is a good test for systems IMO, very complex stuff for what it is. Chris Cornell is excellent also. Only in the 1st 1/2 hr if that was I worried about having to use a notch filter, that went away completelly. Also very high volume has been done to for extended period, No fatigue.. Another really cool thing is kinda, is I planned to run these with eaither the Fountek CD3's or Cantus G2 ribbons I have & can't bring my self to install them..I feel no need. & so definatelly in no hurry, I will try them xo'ed way out there, for that little extra, but really it might be some time before that ever happens. for the price of B200's I consider them a bargain from how they perform here at my house. I have only ran tube amps thru them. & very short signal path, as in PEC pot's & TVC's from highly modded NOS DAC's with there output stages by-passed direct from I/V stage thru top flight caps & straight to amps. Nothing seems out of balance , vocals are at the level they need to be, on any CD I have tried. The dynamics are impressive. which I feel is because of no filters & fairlly high effeciancy of the driver. They are smooth.. nothing like any Fostex I have tried, which is not many , fe167e, 103, etc....The bass is the only thing I needed to play with, but I have bass augmentation, with active plates into Vifa m26wr0908's, don't ask me why the low qts Vifa work well, cause I don't know, they just do. Was listening To John Lee Hooker last night & it was the best I have heard that entire recording,, this weekend will be the start of me building my 1st non kit tube amp. a JE simple 45 & then the Darling after that..both should be good starters for me..I think I will just use James OT's & hammond PT. I don't think the published FR graph says the story in OB for this driver at all. It is a revieling driver for sure, so if your source is crap, it will show it. lytics, bad sounding op-amps, etc...The driver has major jump factor if that helps..
Old 30th December 2006, 03:57 PM   #30
dmason is offline dmason  United States
diyAudio Member

Anyone who hears the driver on an open baffle realizes the disconnect between what they hear, and what they see on that graph; I found as they wear in, higher frequencies' extension became apparent, also. Planet10 was the first to point this out and advocate for the sound, and screw the pictures. Dave was right, as usual. The rest was simply follow-on history.

If you are using NON OS DAC's with nice little pentodes with these things, you ought to be enjoying the proceedings. They are astounding with non oversampling sources in my opinion, I keep the Monica2 around JUST for the B200's, and I have yet to hear an EL84/6v6/6AQ5 type amplifier that did NOT sound wonderful. I have a Sun Audio SE 6V6 amp on its way from Japan, to build this winter, for just such purposes. ..You sir, have hit on a very sweet synergy right there; no surprise you are having an epiphany right there and now.

If you go to the audiocircle open baffle circle, there are some new baffle inventions with pictures. I especially like Costa Rica John's concentric baffle. Personally, that one does it for me. John will have much more on it, and he really knows his OB stuff.

Hide this!Advertise here!