Help! Disappointed with Visaton B200 - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th December 2006, 08:52 PM   #11
JandG is offline JandG  United States
diyAudio Member

Default After re-reading your post.

I am sure, your not getting anything out of what these drivers do best. slam them any any OB of any decent size. The norrow sweet spot you refer to is compete reverse of what I hear this very second. Playing SRV " Live at Montreux" 82-85 , I hear a very, very transparent wide & realistic soundstage. Imaging is pinpoint. ONLY when SRV does some strange dynamic harmonic stuff does it make you twitch, like it should, the real thing does exactly this. not piercing just on that edge when he does it. I am using SE el-84 at the moment & it is dynamic & loud as I can take without pain..the bottom end is going to take time to dial for me. I will take back what I said about lacking life. I think these a just ruthless on source at this point. I did some tests & proved to me this is true. I don't think these are going to add color of much any kind, seem extremely transparent. NO shout, like some Fostex & such, which is dang cool...things are looking way good at this point, must test some more to get my bottom end in order.
Old 26th December 2006, 10:32 PM   #12
Pano is online now Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

FYI here is the very long DarkStar thread over on AudioCircle
Old 26th December 2006, 11:19 PM   #13
dmason is offline dmason  United States
diyAudio Member

The "DarkStar" itself, a variant of the Linkwitz Orion, simplified, more direct approach, some would say "improved," with five pairs built and sold to "customers," continue to amaze and please, a very refined sound, no box or room resonances, bridging the gap between obstetric anaesthesia, and speaker design.

Make static baffle narrow, and swept back wings, horn loads the rear wave, reduces visual aspect, increasing WAF. Flapping wings results in sonic changes.

Want bass? Try 4X Eminence Delta 15LF, Ripol bass loading, Behringer DEQ/DCX 2496, I use the Rane RPM, high pass the B200 >120Hz, use a very good T amp or tube amp on the Visaton driver, and whatever you can get on the bass modules, and look out. Personally, I think the B200 sounds best with well implemented, battery-driven T amps and NON oversampling digital sources, and is scary-good with the Red Wine Audio Signature 30. Triodes turn the B200/OB thang into the Sonic Planetarium, sonic hologram generator, no schit...

Do not give up on your new drivers, if you do, I will dispose of them for you in an ecologically friendly manner.
Old 27th December 2006, 07:10 AM   #14
Pano is online now Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Hey Dan,
Since the DarkStar is your project could you tell us what size baffle and wings you like? The thread over on AC is very long, and there seems to be quite a bit of variance of size and driver placement.

Can you tell us what YOU like?

(And what about cork?)
Old 27th December 2006, 08:45 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

I confess I'd be interested in your personal take on Dark Star (with and without helper woofers) myself Dan. I know you're not claiming it's the definative solution for all situations, but, as I say, it'd be interesting to know. Or is this confidential information, as several have been sold?

In my dipole moments, I'm thinking MK1 Quasar, using 2 B200s in series, one low-passed at ~150Hz the other run FR.
Old 27th December 2006, 12:13 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

If you high pass the B200, you can get away with an 18 inch wide baffle. Nanook is the one whom has experimented most with baffle dimensions, and has come to some hard conclusions, perhaps he can opine.

Were I to do it again, it would also be something along the lines of the Quasar, in series, and I did some drawings awhile ago on a Quasaresque MTM model. If you have means to digitally contour, there is no argument, YES, the B200 will do bass, and lots of it, as long as it has the opportunity to take advantage of boundary gain.

I don't like big baffles, I find the visual obtrusiveness outweighs any sonic nirvana-ness. I think if someone had the room, and could stick the big baffle, a B200 in a BIB would get you your "dipole" bass, and then some. I think B200 BIB would be a staggeringly good, nuke-thee-high-end speaker. But I digress.
Old 27th December 2006, 01:20 PM   #17
Vix is offline Vix  Yugoslavia
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Thank you very much for the support. I almost sent b200ís to Zen Mod for a proper disposal!

They are in a box now, and I am going to cook them for some time. After a while I will take them out and they should be ready to sing (honestly, WAF is an issue with OB's, unless I could get some nice wings (for a baffle)

Thank you for pointing to a good thread "Gravity Well Of A DarkStar ". I will read it by the time B200's get cooked.

I was trying Visaton with different amps: Zen V8, (both with and without feedback), SEWA, Sonic Impact T-amp, NAD 3020 and a Gainclone with LM3886.

It sounds best with ZEN V8 with feedback. T-amp sounds very clear and detailed, but there was some HF harshness wich was irritating after a while. SEWA was ok, but not fancy. Other amps did just average. The source is ROTEL RCD-02.

Regards,

Vix
Old 27th December 2006, 01:35 PM   #18
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Vix
Hi,

..........I almost sent b200ís to Zen Mod for a proper disposal!

don't give up ,be nice to your woman and you'l have them on OB soon
Old 27th December 2006, 02:40 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

This might be of interest: http://www.sixmoons.com/audioreviews...roadtour5.html

Louis of Omega is actually not going to be using the B200 (not worked out why), and will instead be using a custom hemp-coned driver for his production OB flat packs. But this gives a you a good idea of what they can be like. Pretty attractive, and you can fold them away like a vertical version of one of those folding, leaved table things. When not in use, they're no more obtrusive than a normal floorstander.
Old 27th December 2006, 02:49 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

That brings up another point: women seem to LOVE the sonic signature of the B200. Little Miss Sensitive Ears tends to be attracted and therefore aroused by the sound of her music played thru these things, on an open baffle, so the business end of the "DarkStar" brings many good things to the beholder. It is true: The B200 on open baffle will supercharge one's sex life, assuming one has one, of course. This alone is a very good reason to choose this "load."

There are several people out there, including Nigel B of West Oz who has been through years of various high-dog audio rigs, and has absolutely settled on his B200 OB set up, powered by his n hers Charlize Tripath amplifiers. High dog sound, budget cost. Everyone who hears Nigel's set up gets their own. See all his comments at the Decware Speaker Forum.

Hide this!Advertise here!