Eminence Beta 12 + FE126/7 on OB - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd December 2006, 09:47 PM   #1
bigwill is offline bigwill  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Eminence Beta 12 + FE126/7 on OB

For my next project I'm thinking of putting a Fostex FE126/7e on an OB along with an Eminence Beta 12 actively crossed over at around 400Hz. I want the to take away as much grunt work from the Fostex as possible to avoid excursion related distortion and I think the Beta 12 is a nice fast dynamic midbass driver to do the job. I don't think I will lose the fullrange "magic" because of this, in fact I think it will be enhanced. Deep bass is not the goal here, as I have transmission line subwoofers and will soon be building some OB subwoofers to go with these.

I'm just throwing the idea out there really, I think it's a very good one and could sound quite impressive, and I can't think of any reason not to do this. These are cheap drivers but when brought together could make something quite special

Does anyone have idea what kind of bass extention I can expect with a reasonable baffle? I'm hoping they'll at least be enjoyable without subwoofers, and reasonably neutral speakers without a huge amount of shout from the Fostex. Another thing I was wondering was if the FE126/7s needed tweeters. According to Fostex they extend beyond 20Khz and I don't mind listening on axis so will this be an issue?

Thanks for any help / suggestions / ideas / anything!
Old 22nd December 2006, 10:07 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Few ways you can do it. My friend Martin King has a superb write-up on his site if you look int he projects section of his own OB project. See www.quarter-wave.com

Also probably of interest to you, is JamesD's way of working, which is somewhat different. James uses a narrower baffle, with small folds to the rear at the side, the helper woofer mounted as low as practicable, and the two drivers (FR and helper woofer) wired and crossed over in series.
Old 23rd December 2006, 05:56 PM   #3
bigwill is offline bigwill  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

This won't really be a helper woofer as such, more like a midbass and lower midrange driver. I think a lot of designs are lacking in this area and it would be good to have a seperate driver for this range.

Hide this!Advertise here!