BIB's, what drivers do you use? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2006, 09:01 PM   #1
diyAudio Member
 
Rick J. B.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Default BIB's, what drivers do you use?

As for myself I'm going to make my pair of DX-3's work in this design.

So what is everyone else using?

Rick

Click the image to open in full size.
  Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2006, 11:18 PM   #2
diyAudio Member
 
Scottmoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: UK
For my own boxes, I've used FE166E, Monacor SPH-60X and FF165K, all to excellent results. 165 has the best bass. I built a pair for a friend with FF225K as well. BIG sound.
__________________
Community sites www.frugal-horn.com http://frugal-phile.com/
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2006, 03:33 AM   #3
pjanda1 is offline pjanda1  United States
diyAudio Member
 
pjanda1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Boulder, CO
Hemp Acoustics FR8's. I love the drivers, and the BIB enclosures take them to a whole new level as compared to my previous BR and sealed alignments.

I've been wondering when someone would build a pair with Lowthers. I expect they will work fantastically, and it will sure be a simpler build than most of the Lowther enclosures I've seen (Martin's excluded). Obviously you beat most of us to the BIB by a couple of years, but I think you'll find much more success with one of the sim'd designs.

pj
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2006, 03:44 AM   #4
gychang is offline gychang  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Davis, California
Default Fe107e

mine looks and sounds great!.

gychang
Attached Images
File Type: jpg smallbib.jpg (45.3 KB, 689 views)
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2006, 03:54 AM   #5
gychang is offline gychang  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Davis, California
Default my 2 different BIBs

one is "el cheapo" (tall one) and the smaller one is FE107E.

gychang
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2006-11-24_00022.jpg (48.3 KB, 648 views)
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2006, 02:21 PM   #6
diyAudio Member
 
Rick J. B.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Quote:
Originally posted by pjanda1
Hemp Acoustics FR8's. I love the drivers, and the BIB enclosures take them to a whole new level as compared to my previous BR and sealed alignments.

I've been wondering when someone would build a pair with Lowthers. I expect they will work fantastically, and it will sure be a simpler build than most of the Lowther enclosures I've seen (Martin's excluded). Obviously you beat most of us to the BIB by a couple of years, but I think you'll find much more success with one of the sim'd designs.

pj
I am certainly hoping so pjanda.

I think on my next enclosure for the DX-3's I'll mock something up in OSB first and then if they sound good I'll make some nice ones.

I'm leaning toward using 1.25" birch ply and then veneering them with something sharp like figured cherry or quartered white oak.

Rick
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2006, 02:25 PM   #7
badman is offline badman  United States
diyAudio Member
 
badman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Sunny Tustin, SoCal
Quote:
Originally posted by Scottmoose
For my own boxes, I've used FE166E, Monacor SPH-60X and FF165K, all to excellent results. 165 has the best bass. I built a pair for a friend with FF225K as well. BIG sound.

FF225k is a shockingly ignored driver- the bass sensitivity is much better than most full ranges, but people see '96 dB, .3mm xmax' and get shy. Fantastic unit, no rising response (well, no relevant one) and no shout or suckout.
__________________
I write for www.enjoythemusic.com in the DIY section. You may find yourself getting a preview of a project in-progress. Be warned!
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2006, 02:36 PM   #8
pjanda1 is offline pjanda1  United States
diyAudio Member
 
pjanda1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Boulder, CO
Quote:
Originally posted by Rick J. B.


I am certainly hoping so pjanda.

I think on my next enclosure for the DX-3's I'll mock something up in OSB first and then if they sound good I'll make some nice ones.

I'm leaning toward using 1.25" birch ply and then veneering them with something sharp like figured cherry or quartered white oak.

Rick
I'm envious of your cabinets. I could veneer mine, but I know they'd be kind of ugly. I suppose you can't learn to do it well without first trying, but when they're the biggest things in your living room, you hate to do 'em ugly.

I bet the OSB will have some resonances and flex, but it will definitely let you know whether you are getting the bass you are after. Make sure you either use the recommended series resistor size, or order some plenum grade Cat5 (I'd get Belden) of the appropriate length. (One run will do, as you get four twisted pairs from each run, and you only need one per side.)

pj
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2006, 02:37 PM   #9
diyAudio Member
 
Rick J. B.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Quote:
Originally posted by Scottmoose
For my own boxes, I've used FE166E, Monacor SPH-60X and FF165K, all to excellent results. 165 has the best bass. I built a pair for a friend with FF225K as well. BIG sound.

Okay Scott, let me ask you this, why those particular drivers, and which do you like the best?
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2006, 03:07 PM   #10
diyAudio Member
 
Rick J. B.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Quote:
Originally posted by pjanda1


I'm envious of your cabinets. I could veneer mine, but I know they'd be kind of ugly. I suppose you can't learn to do it well without first trying, but when they're the biggest things in your living room, you hate to do 'em ugly.

I bet the OSB will have some resonances and flex, but it will definitely let you know whether you are getting the bass you are after. Make sure you either use the recommended series resistor size, or order some plenum grade Cat5 (I'd get Belden) of the appropriate length. (One run will do, as you get four twisted pairs from each run, and you only need one per side.)

pj

"OSB" definitely not the best material that's for sure. But I can get 3/4" 4x8's really cheap.

As for the veneering, it's really not very hard. There's one or two techniques that one needs to understand but after that it's no deal. Traditionally veneer was adhered with hide glue and that's a difficult way to do it. Mills that produce veneered sheet stock usually use pva and then hot press it. Obviously the average diy guy isn't going to do that. But some of the modern contact adhesives work great and are fairly easy to use. Maybe I could write a tutorial so the average garage warrior could both build his boxes well, but also veneer them for a better appearance.

Rick
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
JBL comp drivers, Dayton Reference Sub drivers for auction NO RESERVE pkpickard Swap Meet 1 21st January 2009 04:19 AM
FS: x25 Vifa 5" Drivers + x2 Diamond Audio 5.6 Hex Eton Drivers omarmipi Swap Meet 0 19th November 2007 05:21 AM
21" Bass Drivers and Beyma Compression Drivers Magnetar Swap Meet 0 19th November 2006 03:42 AM
Open-Baffle dipoles...a heresy to pair PA drivers w/ home drivers? thadman Multi-Way 7 11th November 2006 10:11 PM
FS: horn subs, drivers, 'regular' subwoofer drivers John Sheerin Swap Meet 0 2nd August 2004 12:33 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 11:28 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2