FE206ES-R in short enclosure

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
NoXo, Amazing how two people so many miles apart have ended up with such similar systems, even down to the CD63SE ! When you play your AV system in 2 channel mode do you get the subwoofer supporting the FE206E BR's ? Looked at the pics ..... very nice walnut finish.

Puffin, Piano black finish can be an expensive option in the hi-fi shop ! I admire your patience, well worth the effort you put into it.

I was much lazier than both of you ! My listening loft is low roofed and has matt white walls and ceiling. My wife wanted these (large) speakers to 'disappear' so we painted them in white eggshell. When I say 'we' I mean she did it ! My friend has a digital camera, I'll see if I can post a photo some time soon.

Anybody weighed the FE206ES-R horns ? My bathroom scales claimed 75kg/165lbs. Does this sound about right ?

David, my FE206E`s are in the recommended horns and I sold the BR (Commonsense Audio MKII`s) boxes. With the NAD in 2 channel stereo, the sub comes in at 80HZ in all modes. It reduced excursion and improves power handling and sound quality. I guessed that my FE206ESR horns weigh about 150lbs, so 165 seems right. It is a small world, once you start talking.

Hi Guys,
I finished painting my 208esigma BLH boxes. They're sitting there and waiting for the speakers to come. I changed my mind to order a pair of 208esigma and a pair of T90A supertweeter. I thought it might be better to go with the original with the box. Hope they will surprise me, and I really look forward to have them compare with my BIB 168esigma.
Albert

Attachments

• img_0002.jpg
    img_0002.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 331
Albertli, beautiful job. I`m sure they will sound as good as they look. And Scottmoose, since I sold those BR boxes ($50.00 USD), less than I paid for the veneer, I don`t have anymore commonsense, so I build horns because they`re a challenging woodworking project.

Scottmoose said:
If you're running SS into 206s, you'll be over-damping the drivers and causing the bass to roll off, so the 80Hz XO point to the sub[s?] sounds like a good plan to me.

You sold the Commonsenseaudio boxes? Heresy! They're wonderful you know. Really. And horns are terrible. By the way, custard is made from gelignite. :D

tryin to start something?

noxo:

no commonsense ;)

Yes I am trying to start something, and that is finding the path to better sound. There seems to be alot of twists and turns and directions that lead you to the wrong place. I think it goes something like " the journey is more fun than the destination." I hope you`re having as much fun, NOXO.

DavidLewis2 said:
Thanks for the info everybody. The FE206ES-Rs (in FE206ES-R recommended BLHs) are getting better and better with classical, jazz, and anything acoustic. However, the added smoothness and silkiness of these speakers (over my FE206s in BR boxes) combined with the 300B SET has tipped rock music into sounding a bit too tame. I guess one hi-fi cannot play all music types well ....?

Hello DavidLewis2,

These are interesting observations. I have the 206ESR in the recommended enclosures, minus the second layer of plywood on the sides, and I drive them with a S.E.X. amplifier from bottlehead. I also am not using any stuffing. The drivers were burnt in for about 9 months in a cheap open baffle format, and are now set in the recommended enclosure since December 2006. I listen to this system 2 to 3 hours a day, regularly.

In the beginning, I had pretty much the same observations regarding music. The old jazz recordings, or some interesting classic recordings (Living Presence from Mercury collection) were extraordinary. But more modern recordings sounded a bit tame. So I put aside some music has "less compatible", especially rock music (except for classics from the '60s). I remember that HIFI salesman explaining to me how the purchase of HIFI could change our taste in music...

Nevertheless, yesterday, I listened to a few of these recordings I thought sounded "tame" originally, and, woaw! They sounded much better than what I remember! So maybe these drivers, without denying the effect of your 300B on them, do really require a very long time of burnin, like no xo and others reported.

Here are a few pics for the curious.

I have not used spikes on them yet, because I am trying to work a system allowing the decoupling, without elevating them too much.

planet10 said:
Is that a 12" PowerBook for source?

dave

Dave,

I am using 2 different sources:

1) Powerbook G4 12 1GHz, plugged via HagUSB and Peter Daniel's DAC (the dark box with an aluminum top to the right of the amp). The music is encoded at 320kb 48MHz iirc.

2) portable Sony discman, which optical out is plugged in Audio Monarchy Upsampler (not pictured).

iPods are used only for travelling (with a PINT amp from Tangent).

These are old pictures. I now have a new digital camera. I will update sometime soon.

A compact tractrix for 206E

Hello all , sorry to post on this topic, but my posts are not enought to start a new thread.Afterall this one is a small horn for FE206E and FE206ESR.

This is a tractrix horn , calculated by a friend of mine and designed by me.

Length of the contour 320 cm
Throat - 100 cm^2
Mouth - 1200 cm^2
Overall size 145 х 70 х 25 cm

The calculations say that it have to go near the 40 Hz at -6db.

I made several versions before i come with this one. The Mouth is made of 4 sectors ,the throat is right behind the driver,the front panel is 40mm thick.

tractrix1.JPG

I`m sorry for the quality of the drawing. It is hand made and then captured with my Canon PowerShot...

I will be grateful to all who give some opinion or who criticize the the project.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.