FE206ES-R in short enclosure - Page 6 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th March 2007, 02:48 PM   #51
no xo is offline no xo  United States
diyAudio Member

Yes I am trying to start something, and that is finding the path to better sound. There seems to be alot of twists and turns and directions that lead you to the wrong place. I think it goes something like " the journey is more fun than the destination." I hope you`re having as much fun, NOXO.
Old 18th March 2007, 02:01 PM   #52
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidLewis2
Thanks for the info everybody. The FE206ES-Rs (in FE206ES-R recommended BLHs) are getting better and better with classical, jazz, and anything acoustic. However, the added smoothness and silkiness of these speakers (over my FE206s in BR boxes) combined with the 300B SET has tipped rock music into sounding a bit too tame. I guess one hi-fi cannot play all music types well ....?
Hello DavidLewis2,

These are interesting observations. I have the 206ESR in the recommended enclosures, minus the second layer of plywood on the sides, and I drive them with a S.E.X. amplifier from bottlehead. I also am not using any stuffing. The drivers were burnt in for about 9 months in a cheap open baffle format, and are now set in the recommended enclosure since December 2006. I listen to this system 2 to 3 hours a day, regularly.

In the beginning, I had pretty much the same observations regarding music. The old jazz recordings, or some interesting classic recordings (Living Presence from Mercury collection) were extraordinary. But more modern recordings sounded a bit tame. So I put aside some music has "less compatible", especially rock music (except for classics from the '60s). I remember that HIFI salesman explaining to me how the purchase of HIFI could change our taste in music...

Nevertheless, yesterday, I listened to a few of these recordings I thought sounded "tame" originally, and, woaw! They sounded much better than what I remember! So maybe these drivers, without denying the effect of your 300B on them, do really require a very long time of burnin, like no xo and others reported.

Here are a few pics for the curious.

I have not used spikes on them yet, because I am trying to work a system allowing the decoupling, without elevating them too much.
Old 19th March 2007, 05:37 AM   #53
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Is that a 12" PowerBook for source?

dave
Old 19th March 2007, 07:49 AM   #54
diyAudio Member

Penderquast, Thanks for the info/photos. I'll take your advice and re-visit the 300B/206ES-R setup with rock/pop from time to time. I intend taking the stuffing out of the c.c. at some time in the future (when exactly I'm not sure). Thanks again.
Old 19th March 2007, 08:13 AM   #55
diyAudio Member

I can't believe it...nice tubes, great speakers and a f****** I-Pod as source....that's what I call "cultural bolshevism"
Old 19th March 2007, 11:40 AM   #56
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by planet10
Is that a 12" PowerBook for source?

dave
Dave,

I am using 2 different sources:

1) Powerbook G4 12 1GHz, plugged via HagUSB and Peter Daniel's DAC (the dark box with an aluminum top to the right of the amp). The music is encoded at 320kb 48MHz iirc.

2) portable Sony discman, which optical out is plugged in Audio Monarchy Upsampler (not pictured).

iPods are used only for travelling (with a PINT amp from Tangent).

These are old pictures. I now have a new digital camera. I will update sometime soon.
Old 10th October 2007, 03:03 PM   #57
diyAudio Member

Default A compact tractrix for 206E

Hello all , sorry to post on this topic, but my posts are not enought to start a new thread.Afterall this one is a small horn for FE206E and FE206ESR.

This is a tractrix horn , calculated by a friend of mine and designed by me.

Length of the contour 320 cm
Throat - 100 cm^2
Mouth - 1200 cm^2
Overall size 145 х 70 х 25 cm

The calculations say that it have to go near the 40 Hz at -6db.

I made several versions before i come with this one. The Mouth is made of 4 sectors ,the throat is right behind the driver,the front panel is 40mm thick.

Click the image to open in full size.

I`m sorry for the quality of the drawing. It is hand made and then captured with my Canon PowerShot...

I will be grateful to all who give some opinion or who criticize the the project.

Hide this!Advertise here!