FE206ES-R in short enclosure - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th March 2007, 09:28 AM   #31
Puffin is offline Puffin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I have had great results using the "light bulb" phase plug as shown on hunblehommadehifi. I have yet to pluck up the courage to fit Dave's phase pllugs

http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Solo206.html
Old 9th March 2007, 10:15 AM   #32
diyAudio Member

Get yourself a glass of something mellow and red, and a pair of phase plugs. They're not difficult to fit. Just take your time, and don't worry about it. A pair of plastic tweezers and a very sharp craft knife (think Airfix kit type) are essential. Other than that, it's plain sailing. They make a heck of a difference. They don't turn the 206 into a Sigma beater, but they certainly elevate it's performance up a good few notches.
Old 9th March 2007, 03:40 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

Hi Scotmoose
Have you try connecting the negative to the chassis? ( Please see the following ) And How do you like the idea. I almost finish making the 208sigma box for the 206esr. I certainly would feed the single cat5e straight from the amp. I again would like to try the phase plug from dave in the later day. Is fibre-fil a good stuffing material for the back of driver and the cc. Which area is CC anyway. Is it the whole length of the horn?
Thanks
Albert

The second tweak was to short the chassis of the driver to the minus pole of the connector. This is easily done by soldering a short piece of wire from the minus pole to the centre connection screw that holds the solder tab in place (see photo). This gave improved midrange clarity with a smoother treble and more punch in the bass – amazing for a 5-minute tweak that costs absolutely nothing!

I now hear things I had never heard in recordings before and all this from a simple cheap full-range driver! This speaker really lets you hear the acoustics of the recording studio and for example you can visualise how close to the piano and where the recording microphones are placed. I must admit it still doesn’t like large orchestra’s playing forte and lean recordings sound rather lean but otherwise I am very happy at the moment. The speaker works best with tube-amps: in combination with my KT88 monoblocks cymbals are so realistic it frightens you, with solid state they are a little too rough edged. Listening to track 11 on Diana Krall’s “Live in Paris” you can hear the concert hall air vibrate, all the small noises the audience make are very tangible contributing to the effect that you are really there!
Old 10th March 2007, 04:06 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

Scottmoose,

Please advise me for the above questions. I'm a newbie and hungry for your advices. My new baby ( 208ez BLH ) coming to be fully assembled in couple more days. More photos keep coming.
Sorry, It said the file too big. I'll re-do the photos and post them later.

Thanks
Albert
Old 10th March 2007, 07:27 PM   #35
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by albertli
Scottmoose,

Please advise me for the above questions. I'm a newbie and hungry for your advices. My new baby ( 208ez BLH ) coming to be fully assembled in couple more days. More photos keep coming.
Sorry, It said the file too big. I'll re-do the photos and post them later.

Thanks
Albert
Just to keep you keen

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...x/Speaker5.jpg
Old 10th March 2007, 11:06 PM   #36
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by albertli
Have you try connecting the negative to the chassis?
By all reports -- including one from my buddy Chris -- this is a useful tweak. Many of the vintage drivers (philips & tannoy for example) have a solder tag on the chassis to make it easy.

dave
Old 12th March 2007, 05:08 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the info everybody. The FE206ES-Rs (in FE206ES-R recommended BLHs) are getting better and better with classical, jazz, and anything acoustic. However, the added smoothness and silkiness of these speakers (over my FE206s in BR boxes) combined with the 300B SET has tipped rock music into sounding a bit too tame. I guess one hi-fi cannot play all music types well ....? Anyhow, I've still got the FE206s (in BR boxes). They are now attached to my AV system (Yamaha AV Package 59 comprising RX-V359 amp + NS-P110 speakers), I merely replaced the very small supplied front speakers with the FE206 BRs. I played rock music through this system (via an elderly Marantz CD-63SE) and was absolutely amazed by the sound. Treble/midrange clarity, dynamicism, separation, imaging courtesy of the FE206s. Deep rich bass courtesy of the little Yamaha subwoofer. To be honest I didn't realise that the subwoofer could join in with stereo CD and I thought that the FE206 BRs were doing it all themselves for a while !!! ..... a testament to how seemless the subwoofer integration was. This 'rock music' system has a very low overall cost but I see no need to go further with it. Discovering Fostex drivers and DIY enclosures was the best thing that has happened to me in the 25 years I've been trying to assemble a decent hi-fi. I can't say that I've been very clever about any of this but I have ended up with a pair of hi-fi's that do a great job with any music genre. I'm very happy. Instead of constantly spending money on upgrading components I can now buy music ! Thanks to all the experts on the forum who assisted me with the decisions.
Old 12th March 2007, 05:11 PM   #38
diyAudio Member

Puffin, Nice finish on your speakers.
Old 12th March 2007, 09:38 PM   #39
no xo is offline no xo  United States
diyAudio Member

DavidLewis, sounds like we are on the same path. I started with FE206E`s in a BR box and later built the recommended horns and now use them in a home theater system with a NAD receiver, all Fostex speakers and a 12" sub with Parts Express driver & plate amp. I use it as a 2 channel music system alot because it is in my basement and I can play it loud down there. There is an old thread called "HP Reflectors" on this site that a friend posted a couple pictures of my FE206ESR`s on, if you`re interested. I covered them in walnut veneer and use them in my livivng room with a tube pre & amp, a Rega P25 and a heavily modified Marantz 63se CD, stereo only. Keep us posted on how your speakers break in, NOXO
Old 13th March 2007, 08:20 AM   #40
diyAudio Member

DavidLewis2. Thanks for your comment. I put 8 coats of paint on in all, 4 primer/undercoat and 4 top coats of ordinary (not non-drip) black Crown gloss. I used a small foam roller. It does not allow much paint to go on at once, but it avoids any drips.

Each coat was rubbed down when dry with ever smoother wet & dry paper (used dry) ending up with 1200 grit.

I had wanted them sprayed in my local paint shop, but they wanted £200!. It would have been worth it I suppose, but the paint and other bits was only about £20.

Hide this!Advertise here!