anybody got an enclosure?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm trying to squeeze the most bass possible out've a pair of fullrange 8"s -- hence why I was led to believe a vented floorstanding BR/DBR design is the way to go.

And for simplicity's sake, I'm trying to avoid a crossover (at least for now) but still manage to have these things drop jaws. ;)

I did a search and read that 75-liters was a good size? Somebody correct me if I'm wrong (that seems awfully large...)

An ML TL is a vented enclosure and will give a response down to the 30s -- it looks like a tall BR but acoustically works differently (better).

Note that unless you build a horn you'll need at least a BSC (baffle step correction circuit) whether it is a BR, DBR, or ML TL. The BSC for Martin's Project 5 is provided. Martin King is very highly regarded and this site provides the theory behind his designs as well.

Well I'm using the FE207E standard DBR enclosure (I've posted the pic in the gallery) and there is no particular need of a BSC to my taste (but the simple BR just could'nt work without one). I'm using tube and hybrid tube/mosfets amps, so that might explain.
This is already excellent.

I'm using the FE207e in MJKs MLTL project 5 and using EQ instead of a passive circuit. With my system, the result is really pretty impressive as far as my failing ears can tell.

I thoroughly endorse the MLTLs as the bad carpenters first go at DIY

cheers

Martin's MLTLs are as good as it gets for an 8in driver in terms of extension, in a (relatively) compact enclosure. Ed's folded TQWT is good too in terms of weight (better if anything) but doesn't go quite as low. Remember, the BSC circuit is not a crossover -it just attenuates the HF to compensate for baffle-step loss.

Ray Bao said:
I'm trying to squeeze the most bass possible out've a pair of fullrange 8"s -- hence why I was led to believe a vented floorstanding BR/DBR design is the way to go.
IIRC double bass reflex actually doesn't add low freq extension. The alleged advantages of DBR are controlling impedance and excursion peaks.

I vote for Martin's project 5. But if you can spare the space and lumber, also consider the Bigger-is-Better design:
http://www.zillaspeak.com/bib-fostex.asp

I'd recommend Bob Brines version of Martin King's Project 5, if only because you can buy the plans off of him making the planning a lot easier.

They are big speakers still, compared to retail floorstanders at least, but you will get decent bass out of them. For comparison they made my Mission M74i's (which reviewers praised for it's bass output) sound very weak.

Now why does that not surprise me? So they should -I was hugely impressed with those things at Eggfest, especially the weight they produce in the mid-bass.

BTW Ed, got something in the works that might be interesting to try out on your pipes at some point. Ditto Steve's Lowthers. Don't panic -no physical mods of any kind at all required to drivers or cabinets, & completely reversable.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.