Best cheap tweeter fo 40-1354?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a pair of 40-1354s. They're excellent drivers, but as many have reported, the treble is a bit lacking.

Can anyone suggest a suitable tweeter? I was looking at the ApexJr ribbon tweeter and Sonance tweeters, both $5, in addition to the Dayton ND20TB and Hi-Vi K1.

This is a "supplemental" tweeter, so a capacitor will function as a crossover. I figure that crossing it in at about 14khz (-6db) will help to compensate for the 40-1354's rolloff.

I'm not at all opposed to top-mounted tweeters, or scavenging some old tweeters of E-bay.

I'm not sure that Apex Jr still has them, but there was a small tweeter that went for $1, and I think that it was reduced to $.49 for awhile. Dave D., the Head Scientist of Planet 10 has used these IIRC and used a small cap 1.5 or 1.8uF (I think). If crossed high enough it really just adds a touch of treble and would be worthwhile if off axis listening is contemplated or your hearing is very acute.
Others may have different ideas, but this is an option.
Best Regards,
TerryO

TerryO said:
I'm not sure that Apex Jr still has them, but there was a small tweeter that went for $1, and I think that it was reduced to $.49 for awhile. Dave D., the Head Scientist of Planet 10 has used these IIRC and used a small cap 1.5 or 1.8uF (I think). If crossed high enough it really just adds a touch of treble and would be worthwhile if off axis listening is contemplated or your hearing is very acute.
Others may have different ideas, but this is an option.
Best Regards,
TerryO

Off-axis sounds like the way to go. However, if I'm building a pair of Bigger-is-Betters with $50-a-pair fullrange drivers, I figure I should spend more than $2 on tweeters.

Spazpot wrote:

<<Off-axis sounds like the way to go. However, if I'm building a pair of Bigger-is-Betters with $50-a-pair fullrange drivers, I figure I should spend more than $2 on tweeters.>>

Oh, I'm sorry. When I saw the 1354a mentioned, I was thinking more along the lines of the $4.95 each that I had paid for the last 8 or 10 that I bought. Now that I can see what you want, please be so kind as to completely disregard my previous advice.

Best Regards,
TerryO

TerryO said:
Spazpot wrote
Oh, I'm sorry. When I saw the 1354a mentioned, I was thinking more along the lines of the $4.95 each that I had paid for the last 8 or 10 that I bought. Now that I can see what you want, please be so kind as to completely disregard my previous advice.

Seeing as how you've since upgraded to something better, any chance you could sell me some? :)

http://www.zillaspeak.com/ZillaSpeakStraightPipeForSale.asp

Personally, regardless of price i like the way the cheap piezo sounds with the 1354. I also tried the radio shack pod super tweeter and thought it totally overpowered the 1354.

I also tried some 2" paper tweeters from radio shack too and wasn't too impressed with them.

I recommend firing a piezo out the back of the cab using an 8ohm resistor across the piezo and a 1uf cap. Then i would connect an Lpad and dial it in to taste.

A larger cap, say 1.5uf, will provide more tweet if you like.

Never tried dome tweets with the 1354. Enjoy finding a tweeter you like. It's all part of the fun!

Godzilla

Godzilla said:
http://www.zillaspeak.com/ZillaSpeakStraightPipeForSale.asp

Personally, regardless of price i like the way the cheap piezo sounds with the 1354. I also tried the radio shack pod super tweeter and thought it totally overpowered the 1354.

I also tried some 2" paper tweeters from radio shack too and wasn't too impressed with them.

I recommend firing a piezo out the back of the cab using an 8ohm resistor across the piezo and a 1uf cap. Then i would connect an Lpad and dial it in to taste.

A larger cap, say 1.5uf, will provide more tweet if you like.

Never tried dome tweets with the 1354. Enjoy finding a tweeter you like. It's all part of the fun!

Godzilla

The Apexjr ribbon tweeters have awful upper-treble performance - they almost seen more like a midrange. The piezos sound like a good idea, though, and they're easily tweaked.

SMC has some tweeters that look a look like RS's old-school stuff.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

SP23.JPG

Which of these looks the best?

Alternately, I could go for some of the Hi-Vi K1's, which are $9 at Madisound.

I have played with the $1 Apex Jr tweeter, and there is nothing wrong with it for the role you have identified.

If you want to spend more money, you can consider the Radio Shack 40-1310 Super Tweeter or similar Fostex FT17H.

From eBay, you can search for Foster Horn Tweeters. There are generally good tweeters.

The Radioshack 40-1270D tweeter should also be good as a helper tweeter.

Piezos are another inexpensive alternative, but some people don't like how they sound.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.