Need suggestions of midbass for Jordan JXR6?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Colin:
Do you roll off the JXR6 in your application?
I have been experimenting with some old EJJ system 5 low frequency units with 4 inch dalesford push pull drivers crossing over at 150 hz with some fine results. The vented enclosure has excellent low frequency response but cannot handle a lot of power.
They respond to over a kilohertz linearly and at low to average levels may be superior to my subs in the integration area.

I am still using my JXR6 arrays with out crossover other than the natural roll off below resonance and crossing over the VBI subs at 150 hz @ 18dB/octave but the subs are able to respond to 200 hz before they begin their hi freq roll off. They are really superb at the lowest frequency.

I am still searching for a really good answer to Norris Wilson's initial question in this thread.

Thanks for all the info in your posts

Hi

My JXR6s are in 2.2 litre sealed cabinets with no filtering, so the rolloff starts around 120Hz. The drivers are still producing sound at 80Hz, albeit much lower volume.

Interesting to hear you have the original Dalesford bass design. Those drivers were designed as alternatives to the KEF B110, I believe, so probably a little low on power handling by modern designs. I have a couple of Ted's own bass units awaiting use - I need ot get up to speed with electronic crossovers first.

Ref the original query - I believe Ted is looking at SEAS drivers as alternatives to his own units. He currently uses MJ Acoustic power subs in his own set up.

Colin
Thanks for the response. I actually have the entire EJJ system 5 and looked at the JXR6 effort as a potential upgrade for the original 50mm modules. As it turned out the JXR6 is much more than that and I have been forced to look to new technology to match the capabilities of the new transducer.
Perhaps an alignment could be generated using Seas or other available drivers to bring the push-pull mid/low frequency design to a match with the JXR6. I really like the low distortion and extention of that sort of small box . Isobaric alignment may also provide the size and quality desired.
This concept may be one acceptable answer to Mr. Wilson's inquiry as to a midbass for the Jordan JXR6.

The JX92 in GM's MLTL is a more than capable match for the Dalesford system, especially the 48" variant. You could use a pair per channel, albeit at some cost (though no more than using Jordan's own bass units when available).

The Mark Audio site (markaudio.com) used a similar idea in a design which I don't think has come to market yet. I can't find it onsite so here's a gif I downloaded some time ago.

Attachments

• the_big_curve.gif
    the_big_curve.gif
    9.4 KB · Views: 226
JXR6 crossover

I have experimented with the crossover for the JXR6 with subwoofer and found 120Hz is about optimal for my setup (near field monitors) as any higher and the subwoofer can be "located" and lower than it sounds hollow. My setup still sounds a little weak in the midbass so I have applied electronic equalisation (convolver) to increase the midbass.

I've been listening to these speakers for a couple of hours each day for the last 9 months and pretty happy with them especially their resolving power (and using a tripath amp). Ideally I think this speaker wants to be crossed over about 150hz - 200hz but would need stereo woofers not a mono subwoofer.

Regards,
Dean

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.