stuffing the folded fe167 cabinet - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th December 2006, 06:13 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default stuffing the folded fe167 cabinet

Has anyone built the ML folded for FFE167 using the following plan ?
http://geocities.com/rbrines1/Pages/...Fostex%20FE164

Let me know what is the damping and stuffing material you used. From where I live, I only find the pillow fills (polifills) and packing foam. I may find some fiber glass if I am lucky ! According to the plan above, it only requires polifill and nothing else. Please give me some advices. I read many threads about this topic but could not see any discussion about damping this type of cabinet . Thank you
Old 5th December 2006, 09:30 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

It's just Martin King's seminal Project 2 ML TQWT folded in half. I've build 3 pairs of the unfolded version. Stuff the entire rear part of the line (the narrow bit), and if you can, line the back wall, and one side, behind the driver, with damping material. That should work fine -it's what I used. Dacron hollow-fibre pillow stuffing is ideal. Forget the fiberglass -nasty suff. Bad for the health; it irritates the skin when handling (if you don't wear gloves), and isn't much better than MDF dust for your lungs either.
Old 7th December 2006, 02:55 PM   #3
Puffin is offline Puffin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I was wondering if the stuffing specified on the Fostex site for the 208 horn is all that is required, or would anyone reccomend it being placed anywhere else as well ?
Old 7th December 2006, 06:24 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Depends on your room and system. Start with the advised amount, or the stuff Simon suggests (better), and work from there. As you're running 206s in your cabinets I believe, you might need a touch more than usual.
Old 7th December 2006, 08:10 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Just my humble opinion, but Acousta-Stuf fiber from Parts Express (P.N. 260-317 (1 Lb bag) & 260-330 (5 Lb bag)) is about the best material you will find for TL enclosures.

It is made of Nylon polyamide fiber, with a multi-directional crimp that gives each strand a greater amount of surface area for heat dissapation than wool or Dacron fibers.

Larry

Hide this!Advertise here!