Old Console drivers in open baffles - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd December 2006, 08:08 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Old Console drivers in open baffles

ANy measured drawing source(s) for something I can build and put these 12"ers in?

TIA
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dscn5115.jpg (68.7 KB, 1797 views)
Old 2nd December 2006, 10:01 PM   #2
nodiak is offline nodiak  United States
diyAudio Member

Smokehouse Bob, I have all kinds of respect for the math and simulations people run to dial in a baffle for a particular driver. But while you're waiting for that possibility I would just cut a 24" wide baffle at whatever height puts the driver at ear level, and allows 6" or so above it. That way you could be done in a few hours and have something to listen to while working on getting a precision baffle /driver fit.
What are those? They look to have good possibilities.
Don
Old 2nd December 2006, 10:14 PM   #3
Dumbass is offline Dumbass  British Antarctic Territory
diyAudio Member

http://members.myactv.net/~je2a3/open.htm
Old 2nd December 2006, 11:22 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks! They are early 12" dia., 60's RCA console drivers, accordian surrounds with whizzers. I have been working on the SE 6BQ5 amp that came with these, still having troubles getting the inputs right. I need help to finish it. In the meantime, I have these drivers to put to good use. Several folks have said that since they came from a console, an open baffle is a good project for them. Your thoughts and help is greatly appreciated.
Old 3rd December 2006, 01:02 AM   #5
Geoff H is offline Geoff H  Australia
diyAudio Member

They look great for their age. OB of some type is the way to go. They may also go well in a full size BR, probably not so well in a ducted one.

Start with an 8x4 ft (standard size in your land? as large as you can) sheet of good ply, cut it in half. Cut the holes above the centre line. ie keep the drivers away from the floor. Add a few cleats and pannels to make it rigid, and provide depth so it will stand upright. You can tilt it back if you wish.

Start listening. At first, you may think it sounds too strong in the mid range. Don't compare with other speakers. Compare to live music.

Avoid tone controls. Move the speakers instead. Corner placement will bring up the bass. Experiment and enjoy.

Nodiak is right. You could be enjoying these whilst others are running the numbers.

Geoff.
Old 3rd December 2006, 01:16 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thanks Geoff! That's a 4' x 8' here as you stated, cut in half that will give me 2, 4' x 4' pieces (I knew that math would come in handy some day!). I'll try vertical side "wings" to keep it upright and a bit stiffer. I have a small pair of horn tweeters (cheap lil' things but they might do for now). How would these be wired in with the large drivers? Ihave no experience with crossovers or such connections. Capacitors in there somehow? Thanks again!
Old 3rd December 2006, 01:44 AM   #7
Geoff H is offline Geoff H  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hi Bob, you are welcome. Don't worry about the tweeters yet. Lets get the things making music!

You are venturing into several areas. Trying too much at once may negate the advantages.

Open baffle gives you a sound not had from anything else. Full range also. Both give great transient response. My take on full range is to get as much out of 1 driver as possible. If it does not provide what you want, then add tweeters, or combine with a sub.

Once you get the single driver set up, you listen, and listen, and listen, to your entire collection, then we think about improvements.

I will tell you this. If those old RCAs are any good (and they probably are) you'll bore your friends to death with your excitement.

BTW, I leave new projects running 24/7. Yep, even when I am sleeping.

Geoff.
Old 3rd December 2006, 01:48 AM   #8
nodiak is offline nodiak  United States
diyAudio Member

Smokehouse Bob, with whizzers those 12"'s are designed to have at least some treble. You should be able to hear cymbals well enough to enjoy the song.
Adding the tweeters would require having the woofers up and running anyway so you can gauge how they work together. You may want to cut tweeter holes directly above the woofers so your cutting is done, but use a piece of wood to cover that hole until you've heard the woofers alone. My vote goes for not worrying about the tweeters for at least several days of listening to the woofers alone.
Personally I find for every hour I spend working on things I just traded off an hour of relaxed listening. I enjoy all the interest and fun of working on things but at some point I need to try to balance more towards listening again.
Just think you're woofers might be good to go by themselves.
Don
Old 3rd December 2006, 02:05 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Good Advice Don! I ran them "free" on the bench again tonight with my new, old Heathkit tube amp. There are significant highs there and, as you say, tweeters may best wait (if ever based upon what I just heard!!). Large panels are next on my list so we can get these things moving.

Bob
Old 3rd December 2006, 02:19 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

24/7 Geoff? Oh the Mrs. would like that, not! LOL I'll post back with pics and impressions once I get them mounted and going, but it may be awhile if I get enthralled. I have another pair, old 8" Alnico Fishers, full range but no whizzers. They were box-mounted inside their console, bare wood no stuffing. They may make another good candidate pair. Since the RCAs were open-air, cabinet mounted in their original console, we'll try them OB first.

Take care,
Bob

Hide this!Advertise here!