mounting speakers to front or back of 3/4" baffle - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st December 2006, 02:44 PM   #1
drec is offline drec  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default mounting speakers to front or back of 3/4" baffle

Hi! Got a pair of Saba 9" greencones for OB. My question pertains to mounting them to the front or rear of the baffle: with rear mounting, that ugly plate that the screws go through (see picture) will be covered up. But, the speaker will not be flush with the baffle, sitting 3/4" behind it.

With front mounting, the speaker will be more flush with the baffle, but that ugly-*** plate sticks out like a sore thumb. Which I don't mind if it improves the sound; but I'd like to know what I'm getting into before I do it!

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 27_1.jpg (20.4 KB, 270 views)
Old 1st December 2006, 03:00 PM   #2
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Rear mount them. Roundover / flare the speaker cutout.

/sreten.
Old 1st December 2006, 03:41 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hmm,

These look like they were made for rear mounting. After a bit of further reading, it sounds like designing drivers for rear mounting was only done because people didn't know better.

It looks like a better solution would be to cut a rectangular-ish (the outline of the plate) recess in the plywood to the depth that the driver is flush with the board. One other post recommended that a veneer with the circumference of the driver be put around it, covering up the ugly rectangular-ish cut.

If this is a good solution, what would I need to cut, say, a 1/2" recess into a 3/4" piece of plywood?

Thanks,
Andre
Old 1st December 2006, 03:41 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hmm,

Rear mounting and routing the cutout is way, way easier!
Old 1st December 2006, 06:18 PM   #5
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Rear mount with a 45 on the driver cut-out is something we have done with good success. Another approach is to make a sub-baffle out of aluminum plate and mount the plate from the front.

dave
Old 2nd December 2006, 02:55 AM   #6
JandG is offline JandG  United States
diyAudio Member

Default I do the greenie's like this...

Click the image to open in full size.
I like rear mount to with roundover or 45 likestated from others. imaging will be differant from each way . If you front mount ,I recommend this. Is take small small cord weather strip, by MD & take it around the driver, take the rubber gromets you have & reverse them, use pan head machine screws with lock washers & all that ..also if you get a high mid peak, let me know & I have some notches that work for me with the 8 & a few other ways I get rid of it..none are ideal but do work. You might get lucky & have no high mid peak at all.. Also my imaging is outstanding, mounted out front. If you mount from back, a perfect hole is almost a must....I do mount vintage drivers from the back sometimes, but have had problems with image,, wierdness & lock & wierdness...hard to explain..just damn wierd. anyway..if you get that peak try .22mh-12ohm-4.7uf.. or roll it off with a coil @ 3500 & bring a tweeter in. which is bad ...these saba's have a nice top end IMO..not great extension for sure, but what is there is very good sonically...if your a tone freak, I am ....................I am trying my best to get the peak out with the least neg's....try & try again..

Hide this!Advertise here!