modest cost FR = best bowed bass & cello reproduction?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
looks good - on ebay US, there were a pair of B200 with vastly different Re perhaps one was a 16 ohm version? - seller seemed (?) to imply poor quality control

with 2'x4' baffle and 12" wings for starters, briefly ran a 21" woofer biamped to 12" Eminence coax and wideband with 100hz highpass on 12" and 50hz lowpass on 21 - seemed like addition of a rear firing tweeter might be good. These Beta 12CX were out of spec with Qts higher than normal so would play on baffle all by theirselves. tried passive network too.

I've got some weak out of spec 50Hz 18" with Qts near 0.7 - maybe could be a start of a new 2-way baffle

http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/5923/obnwbe2.jpg

That looks very good! Won't need much eq. probably...

Any idea of the sensitivity? Maybe still interesting with Visaton B200, but the difference in Re can hardly be very different due to quality control. I also suspect a 16 ohm version, but maybe there IS poor copper quality or a poor conducting part in the wiring. I wouldn't recommend them eitherway.

I've listened to the Nobox design once and it was mighty impressive live like sound coming from them! Very smooth, very low distortion, very realistic timbre to each instrument, very high efficiency...

Combined with good class D they must be really impressive...

freddi said:
with 2'x4' baffle and 12" wings for starters, briefly ran a 21" woofer biamped to 12" Eminence coax and wideband with 100hz highpass on 12" and 50hz lowpass on 21 - seemed like addition of a rear firing tweeter might be good. These Beta 12CX were out of spec with Qts higher than normal so would play on baffle all by theirselves. tried passive network too.

Would seem like a good idea to give the 21" it's own amp with an R/C filter on the input, saves a lot on filter component cost and torture (as they will be in the line-level cable on the amp input the amp output will be connected to the driver by mere cable....)

Theory to calculate such a filter:
http://www.t-linespeakers.org/tech/filters/passiveHLxo.html

500uF? That's insane!:eek:

A good quality in this value must cost enough to get a mortgage on!

To filter this freq. with R/C I guess a 1uF cap with a 10K resistor would suffice...(guesstimated values...) Look up the price on that!

(That would give a 6db/oct. slope...).

I also guess the curve would show much better LF with a larger baffle.

Are you intending to use it outdoors, or is this your way of creating dead room for measuring...?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.