Hemp FR8 full range drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: just buy the Hemps...

Nanook said:
you will not be disappointed. I have used the m in a 20 litre bass reflex and in a 35" X 31" modified JELabs open baffle. My preffered speaker, if you have the room.

Hi Nanook,

I plan to build OB for HEMP FR8C full range drivers. And saw your post here, it looks very interesting;)

Can you share some knowledge here, what kind of material are you using? how much is the thickness of the board?
With that board dimension, what would be the best distance from the rear wall? Do you put any damping material on the rear wall?

Thanks in advance!

Joshua

Joshua, sure...

you can get an idea of what I am using by visiting the Hemp Acoustics' "DIY F.U.N." page, and look at the Ventana.

Really this is just a modified "JE Labs" open baffle. I put a full width "top" shelf on it and a full width bottom brace on the uprights. Perry changed it thinking they didn't need the full width upper brace or "shelf" and cut holes into it. I made mine out of birch plywood, nothing exotic. Because the baffle adds so little or no sonic signature, most anything will do. Please read the JE Labs page...

and regardless what others may have to say about their performance in an OB FR8.0C at the Vancouver Island DIYaudiofest, they really do make great music. And I've had them as such for a year or more and know their limitations...only one I can think of is the physical space they take up.

The dimensions are similar to the original Quad electrostatics and the Wharfedale SB3 loudspeakers---I think there is something particularly special about the dimensions that may fly in the face of convention, but works. If space is an isue, there arte other OB types out there that may suit you better, but I doubt that they would improve on the sound. Also note the OBs , when played on the island were much larger than the JE Labs style, and played out of doors.

Attachments

• jelobplan-1.jpg
    jelobplan-1.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 693
Josh, sorry didn't answer your questions....

1. regular "shop grade" 3/4" Birch plywood, not Baltic Birch. For aesthetic reasons, I'd be tempted to use something a little nice.
  2. seems a minimum of 3' behind the OBs is good, but it does take a little time in your room to figure out
  3. no dampening material anywhere:)
    [/list=1]

And please follow the input from Joseph Esmilla (the JE in JE Labs), finish (as in stain paint , etc...) before listening to them. Once you start listening you won't want to take them apart to do it afterwards.

I would also use good quality binding posts, and Cat5 or better speaker cable to wire from the binding posts to the drivers. Please solder the connections to the drivers themselves.

er also, "Nelless" (my last name):= "Nelles"(somebody else's last name)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hmmmm..... must be the plywood where the magic lies.

I built a pair of these out of double thick cardboard. Nice enough, but way too much baffle for too little bass in my opinion.

What was there was pleasant, but still thin. Maybe the cardboard leaks bass?

On the same wood or MDF baffle the FR8c is quite bass shy compared to a good pro 15". But what the FR8c does, it does very well. I'm just surprised that the bass out of the FR8 makes you happy. Must be the plywood...
:)

happy with OB...panomaniac and others

I tried these "accidentally". When I received my Hemps (prior to doing the review), I put them into a 19.2 litre box I had kicking around (a wrecked pair of Musical Fidelity MC-2 loudspeakers--OK , not wrecked but a pair with one mismatched woofer). I disconnected the crossover, and installed the Hemps in place of the factory woofs. Very nice to listen to, and they simmed well in Linear Team's pro beta version.

Because I had already built the baffles for the old Oxfords with Mission soft-dome tweets, and had a crossover, I built them using that. For all the complaining on the Internet there was lots of bass apparent, when driven by any number of 125 watt SS amps on hand (I have 3 or 4)..

Once I got the drivers, I thought I'd try them in the OB (after a little encouragement from Perry who was interested in the results). I cut some "donuts" to allow me to plug the 12" hole and allow for the 8" drivers to be installed. So this was an "experiment". I deem the experiment a success. Now when compared to the Visaton B200 at Dave's they were lacking, BUT, they were mounted 3.5' up in the air on large OBs. They sounded not so good. All the attributes were there except the bass. Once back home 13.5" centred off the floor as per the "JE Labs" enclosure they sung. There was little physical "impact", but definitely what I would call deep bass. When compared to a Polk Audio 10" self powered sub, they played at least as deep

The plywood was cheap, on sale for CAD$30 (thanks dave ;) ). Esmilla suggests that MDF deadens the sound too much in his Altec OB discussions. If I'd have my druthers, I'd use some Ikea hardwood counter top as OBs. it would require gluing up but would (methinks) sound better, and definitely look better.

stew

Re: happy with OB...panomaniac and others

Nanook said:

The plywood was cheap, on sale for CAD$30 (thanks dave ;) ). Esmilla suggests that MDF deadens the sound too much in his Altec OB discussions. If I'd have my druthers, I'd use some Ikea hardwood counter top as OBs. it would require gluing up but would (methinks) sound better, and definitely look better.

stew

if you want to get serious about looking and sounding good, try the 3/4" laminated bamboo plywood - did wonders on the PAWO's and Fonkens over regular Baltic Birch.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: happy with OB...panomaniac and others

Nanook said:
Now when compared to the Visaton B200 at Dave's they were lacking, BUT, they were mounted 3.5' up in the air on large OBs.

The baffles in question are 1.2m wide by 1.1 m high so 3.5' might be considered an exageration :)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The baffles with the 6.5" Sound of Music, Korean alnico unobtainium.

dave

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Re: Re: happy with OB...panomaniac and others

chrisb said:
if you want to get serious about looking and sounding good, try the 3/4" laminated bamboo plywood

I'll second that. The bamboo ply is very nice. Very high $$, tho. About $220 a sheet where I live.

Nanook, I have to trust you on that one. I've never had any luck getting OB bass out of the Hemps. In a box - e.g. Dave's Demetri - they rock.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.