Hemp FR8 full range drivers - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st December 2006, 12:07 AM   #21
Nanook is offline Nanook  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Hemp Acoustics, Tone tubby, and Omega loudspeakers..

Just so nobody thinks that I have a particular bias (OK, I do, I'm Canuck, but all you south of the 49th do too), I invite any of the principals involved to join in the thread. And I am not encouraging bickering regarding who said what to whom, etc. I guess I feel that whatever the "true" story is, it must lie someplace between A said, B said, C said.

I believe the absolute truth may never be known about this situation. I wonder if Hemp is even legal to possess in the good old, US of A? Although I do have an "alignment" with Hemp, I am not encouraging absolute here say, but I would rather have each of the parties involved to actually make a statement regarding these issues. It may help clear the "air".

As per performance, I know that musicians are enjoying Tone Tubbys, And Omega loudspeakers have been well reviewed , regardless of whose drivers are in them. So Gentlemen, if Messieurs Pecker, Harrison, and Chochos would like to make a comment or statement I would invite them to do so.

sit back, relax, and enjoy some tunes tonight. Life can be way too serious.
Old 1st December 2006, 01:31 AM   #22
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

The Hemp8 is used by a friend in a TL and I have helped him with measurements and notch issues. Now he is preparing an MLTQWT with it (notched). To my ears the Hemp has less enough self noise than any Fostex and sounds attractively organic. It loses in sensitivity and half last upper octave energy.
Old 1st December 2006, 01:59 AM   #23
BHD is offline BHD  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to BHD
Quote:
I wonder if Hemp is even legal to possess in the good old, US of A?
Products made from hemp that don't contain THC are perfectly legal here in the US.

Old 1st December 2006, 02:40 AM   #24
Daveis is offline Daveis  United States
diyAudio Member

salas, can you diagram your crossover filter and it's notch?

apparently, hemp matrix isn't coming out any time soon.
Old 1st December 2006, 04:06 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by nodiak
Lm, what changed by dammaring the hemps whizzers? Wonder if dammar will help wake up the sleepy FR125's. Although I like their easy character alot. just a little more detail would be nice. Visually not into the copper, but no biggee.

planet10, what did c37 do for the Fr125's?

Thanks, Don

The damar has smoothed out a little of the harshness, or hotness, or whatever you want to call it, that bothered me. The edge that rode on top of voices was reduced. Kind of like turning down the distortion a notch. I expect it's damping down a breakup mode or two in the whizzer that were in evidence in the 3 - 10 kHz range. It's been effective enough that I've reduced the cut in my makeshift correction circuit, and may back it off another notch this weekend.

Wake up the FR125? I suspect it would pu them all the way into REM! Then again, I LIKE the copper, so YMMV.
Old 1st December 2006, 04:40 AM   #26
nodiak is offline nodiak  United States
diyAudio Member

Sounds like the damar helped the Hemps. I'll try it.
True the FR125's need no more relaxing, just wonder if damar would stiffen the cone and tighten mids. I think this is called wishful thinking...
Old 1st December 2006, 03:03 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Default Hemptone8

I looked at the A Broun Soun web site and they are now selling an 8" full range driver that that looks like a twin of the Hemp Acoustic FR8.
$128 plus $10 shipping. The plot thickens. James

http://www.abrown.com/home.htm
Old 1st December 2006, 06:44 PM   #28
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Daveis
salas, can you diagram your crossover filter and it's notch?

apparently, hemp matrix isn't coming out any time soon.
It's just a notch, not a crossover. Its for 1.10mX0.26m (HxW)baffle.

3 components in parallel together, and the whole connected in series to + input. 1mH, 3uF, 10R for heavy damped TL or MLTQWT, or 6R8 for almost undamped TL or BR. Can't foretell results for different baffles causing different diffraction. The R element affects mids spl. The bigger, the less the mids. You can play between 6R8 to 10R (10W) for your particular cab.
Old 1st December 2006, 07:20 PM   #29
VadimB is offline VadimB  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Hemptone8

The Broun Soun's FR looks exactly like the one I've got from Hemp, cone, basket and all.
Their 5.25" looks way different though, with stamped basket and much larger magnet.
The FR of 8" FR also looks very close to what I've measured, both peaks including. The only possible difference is the shorting ring in the motor. Broun Soun claims to have it. I'd guess, if Hemp had it - they would not keep it secret. The Le of my Hemp is .65 mH, which most likely for the 8 Ohm driver with modest magnet means no shorting ring.

VadimB
Old 1st December 2006, 07:40 PM   #30
dmason is offline dmason  United States
diyAudio Member

Interesting...

The 5.25 is different. The 6.5 is interesting in that it has very useable bandwidth to ~5-6KHz, and 88db is decent enuff, I suppose. There is your BIB-worthy 6.5" for the moment. I like this driver, very powerful potential here, methinks...

The 8" stacks up abit different from the V1.0 FR8. Shorting ring indeed.

I feel encouraged that John Harrison has seen the light, and has chosen to run with this, his own stuff. These guys are diehard rockers, and our thang is virtually unknown to them, by their own admission. I feel fortunate that I will have the opportunity to encourage him further-----> (6.5" fullranger)

Hide this!Advertise here!