Hemp FR8 full range drivers - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th November 2006, 08:29 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Have they now? Is that in re the emails you showed me a while back Dave? Things are looking exciting in the FR world. Now, if they'd just get the 6 1/2in version with a moderate Vas and Q sorted I'd be a happy camper indeed.
Old 28th November 2006, 09:05 PM   #12
dmason is offline dmason  United States
diyAudio Member

Lousymusician

I still have the Omega SuperHemps and I am listening to them play Grieg right now. The only thing that would trump these is the drivers in BIB's. Louis' OEM drivers have a slightly lower Fs, higher Qts, and different compliance. I would say that they are roughly the same in general terms, paper whiz and hemp cone. The ONLY reason they are not in the music room is because that room is now a bedroom for he who never uses it, but it must be reserved for he who may use it. Daddy duty. The Supers are next to the BIB168's. Listening to both makes me want 6.5" hempsters for BIB's. This to me, represents the Ultimate Compromise. MaxxHemp.

I expect to receive the prototype OB hempsters and also V2 units for evaluation in January, in Anaheim when I attend the NAMM show, with Louis, and the Tone Tubby guys. The OB guitar prototype was last seen at Carlos Santana's place in San Rafael, CA. It is supposedly slated next to go to the Doobie Bros. biker club in SF in Dec. Santana loves it. Imagine my surprise.
Old 29th November 2006, 12:40 PM   #13
fcj is offline fcj  Chile
diyAudio Member

Do any one know why the new Omegas MaxxHemp claims "Omega-designed Tone Tubby Hemp cones" and no "Hemp Acoustics" ?

Do you know what is the relation between them (Hemp Acoustic and Tone Tubby)
, and if Tone Tubby makes diy or OEM musical (not instrument) fr drivers?

Thank´s
Old 29th November 2006, 03:19 PM   #14
nodiak is offline nodiak  United States
diyAudio Member

Jim G, thanks for the lead to the Terry Cain thread, I'll do some more reading there.
GM has given me designs for mltl's sub's I will finally get built this winter, in an attempt to keep it ~ even I give small donations to businesses he likes.
Going to coat the Hemp 8 whizzers with dammar and reattach soon. The FR125 from 200hz up sounds much better to me, mids are recessed but in that good laid back way. planet10's idea of c37 sounds good, might try dammar tho.
Don
Old 29th November 2006, 05:52 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Is a 6.5" hemp full ranger coming out? Right now i have my eyes on a pair of fostex 167e for a vpipe that's driverless. But it's a few months out before i dig into that project.

TIA,
Godzilla
Old 30th November 2006, 03:07 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

My Hemp's whizzers got a light coat of Damar on Sunday. It's a step in the right direction.

Don, I know what you mean about the 'laid back' mids of the FR125. Very different from what I'm hearing from the Hemps. The 125's are easy on the ears, but I always had a feeiling that i was missing some detail with them. No lack of detail from the Hemptones!
Old 30th November 2006, 04:39 AM   #17
nodiak is offline nodiak  United States
diyAudio Member

Lm, what changed by dammaring the hemps whizzers? Wonder if dammar will help wake up the sleepy FR125's. Although I like their easy character alot. just a little more detail would be nice. Visually not into the copper, but no biggee.

planet10, what did c37 do for the Fr125's?

Thanks, Don
Old 30th November 2006, 05:18 AM   #18
Nanook is offline Nanook  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Tone Tubby, Omegas and Hemp Acoustics...

there's a real thin spot in the ice regaring this topic, so I'll try to stay near the shore...

"apparently" Louis Chochos from Omega had been using Hemp Acoustics drivers, built to his specifications. For whatever reason, Louis was not completely happy with his choice of specifications and had some drivers made to different specs via Tone Tubbies. Note that the drivers were built to Louis' specifications in both cases. His specifications obviously changed.

As far as I know, neither Tone Tubby, nor Hemp Acoustics cones are built by either A Brown Soun or Hemp Acoustics, but rather by an OEM manufacturer using the methods and exact materials spec'd by either company.

A Brown Soun (Tone Tubby) have been well reviewed by guitarists/musicians. "Harrison recently began sourcing "hempwood" for cabinet material from a maker in Canada" (from the linked Stereophile review on the Tone Tubby webpage, can you guess by whom?). Hemp Acoustics have been well reviewed in either modified or "standard" form. Hemp also is involved in other aspects of Hemp production and material useage, not just loudspeakers. (oops, did I mention they're Canuck and are involved in material development? ).

I am stating these as facts, even though I have no direct method of verifying it. I invite both John Harrison of A Brown Sound, and Perry Pecker of Hemp Acoustics to refute any information here. Louis Chochos of Omega Speaker Systems is also welcome to comment.
Old 30th November 2006, 02:17 PM   #19
VadimB is offline VadimB  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Hemp 6.5" FR

Hi Zilla,

First time I've talked to Perry about 6.5" driver was in January, right after his return from CES. I wanted to design a BLH for them. Perry even sent me the preliminary T/S:
"The basic specs are
QTS is .536
FO is 56.332 HZ
SPLO is 93.7"
At that time he was talking about sending me a pair for development in couple of weeks.

Sinse than I've called him many times until about May of this year and every time it was "in next couple of weeks". At some point I just stopped calling. Instead, I've got a pair of 8" from E-Speakers and made a larger horn for them.
I did not manage to find out what was actually wrong with them if any. At this point it may be possible they want to release them with new cones and, possibly, new Adire motors.

VadimB
Old 30th November 2006, 10:18 PM   #20
dmason is offline dmason  United States
diyAudio Member

Louis Chochos is working directly with A Broun Soun on two iterations of 8 inch driver, and a guitar speaker. They are for all intents, Tone Tubby 8 inch widebanders, made for Omega. The cones are manufactured in Alberta, thanks to the DuPont lobby for getting hemp outlawed in the States, so they could sell nylon cordage and make extinct the domestic hemp crop, as it was paid to be made seen as "evil." In Canada, only THC is seen as "evil," and therefore hemp can be worked, legally. The recipe is Harrison's, and he holds a patent. The drivers are assembled in Minneapolis to John Harrison's specifications. The new and as yet unrealized Hemp Acoustics "Hemp-Matrix" cone, deemed as improvment on the A Broun Soun, is not of John Harrison's hand, as A Broun Sound apparently revoked Hemp Acoustics' licensure for use of the hempcone recipe, -the "magic blend of herbs and spices," as described in Guitar Player Magazine, will not be coming from the "Hemp-Matrix" cone. This new and "improved" cone is a mixture containing, among other things, Kevlar, as I understand it, but is not the A Broun Soun hempcone, and these speaker developments would seem to be purely conjecture, at this point, from my viewpoint. There has been no movement in months, and I too was recruited months and months ago to be beta testing their 8, asked to sign Non-Disclosure Non-Competition forms in double, and remit, and subsequently discovered they were not even developing the 8 inch at the time of my inquiry. That was five months ago yet. This is all I know to be true, on the matter.

Hide this!Advertise here!