Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th November 2006, 02:47 AM   #1
JandG is offline JandG  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Basket damping mods..

I tried a long shot way of stopping the ring in my Saba green cone with grey tack or blue tack as most call it. I used 1 factory segment on eack basket leg. The results were very surprising. I had a notch filter in play while I did this mod & while the notch worked it really does take some life out of them & effeciency went way down. after a week or so of enjoying my .99cent discovery, with the notch still in play, I decided to try it without the notch & just the grey tack.. Well the ring in these saba's can get bad, but to my surprise,, I think the notch is not needed any more.. What the heck...? was it just a ring the while dang time.....? what ever has happend I am very glad to get rid of the cap, resistor & coil..very glad...this is just to cool, .99 cent mod takes care of hours & hours of messin with a notch filter .. I now have transparecy that I thought not possible. Is there something else going on other than the tack damping the basket..? Gotta love the gator clips for the ribbon...........
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 26th November 2006, 03:40 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Had to reinstall notch..

Just was a almost without the notch, but it is better with the tack & notch, no way around it at this point. the tack takes the ring out but does not completelly take it all out as in a peak, it is a Auricap, Mills, Janzen air coil notch, so not cryin to much, but wish I could have had it with just the tack..almost but.. together it is wonderfull..I played much more material, namely world class IMO female vocals & was not completelly gone. took me hrs & hrs to get the notch I have now,, it seems correct to my ears.. just takes some Eff.. away for sure..I run a PP on it so not that big of deal, probablly nocked it to 95db or so..still no pad on ribbon needed. it is also 95db. The Saba's in general are 97-98 I think & feel & sound like it.
Old 26th November 2006, 03:43 PM   #3
TerryO is offline TerryO  United States
diyAudio Member

I haven't been following any threads about your Saba, so I have to ask, is it mounted on an open baffle?
The picture, and it's a very clear one BTW, leads me to think that you might want to put a little more blue tack on the legs, it might get you a little bit more improvement.

I really do think that you need to apply some felt to the inside surface of those "legs", either self adhesive or merely apply Aleene's Tacky Glue and some regular felt from the fabric store. On my Hi-Tweek 1197's I also placed a felt "hat" the covered the entire magnet structure including the sides. I used Aleene's Tacky Glue ( plenty of it ) and held it in place with an Audiophile Grade rubber band while it set up. This is probably not as important as the legs and if you are actually mounting these on an open baffle, I probably wouldn't bother with the magnet. If you "do" have an enclosure however, where the reflected waves may be a factor, then I would encourage you to do the magnet. Small gain to be sure, but....each little gain starts to add up.

Best Regards,
TerryO
Old 26th November 2006, 04:53 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Yes, Saba's are in OB..

I will try more blue tack & do the inside of the legs with felt. Intresting about the felt around the magnet is I have seen factory felt installations around the horseshoe typr Alnico's of long ago. must be a reason, they were in sealed enclosures though. The blue tack or grey tack in my app, did a clearing up act that was very, very surprising, something I have never thought of before..I defintaely didn't have to listen for it. Just instant cjanges for the better. Thanks, for the ideas on the felt.
J & G
Old 2nd December 2011, 11:12 AM   #5
ctef is offline ctef  Bulgaria
diyAudio Member

Very old posts, but...
You may try one more step for sound improvement.
Remove the coil cap. Use acetonic tinner.
And, at what frequency works the notch-filter?
For myself I discover, that frequencys around 2.5Khz resonate, and at this point the voices "crow".
Old 31st January 2014, 01:22 AM   #6
hfar is offline hfar  Portugal
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JandG View Post
Just was a almost without the notch, but it is better with the tack & notch, no way around it at this point. the tack takes the ring out but does not completelly take it all out as in a peak, it is a Auricap, Mills, Janzen air coil notch, so not cryin to much, but wish I could have had it with just the tack..almost but.. together it is wonderfull..I played much more material, namely world class IMO female vocals & was not completelly gone. took me hrs & hrs to get the notch I have now,, it seems correct to my ears.. just takes some Eff.. away for sure..I run a PP on it so not that big of deal, probablly nocked it to 95db or so..still no pad on ribbon needed. it is also 95db. The Saba's in general are 97-98 I think & feel & sound like it.
If you have the greencones you must remove the dust cap ant put there a wood phase plug and maybe there you donīt need the notch any more, maybe.

Hide this!Advertise here!